Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

No shoes allowed - What is good for children to wear on the feet all day long at school?

(55 Posts)
RubyRioja Tue 17-Jul-07 13:20:44

DDs new junior school asks parents to provide 'indoor shoes' to protect the lovely carpets . I usually buy good quality well fitted startrites and don't really want her wearing crappy plimsoles all day instead.

What would be a good supportive alternative? She has amazingly long skinny feet and is very hard to fit?

Any suggestions?

tortoiseSHELL Tue 17-Jul-07 13:21:19

You could just get another pair of ordinary shoes, that are only used inside.

EscapeFrom Tue 17-Jul-07 13:24:43

Let her where her good ones indoors and wellies outside.

Or tell them to go to hell - you wouldn't change your shoes for an office!

Schools should not have non child friendly decor

RubyRioja Tue 17-Jul-07 13:24:43

I would but they cost about £35! I'd prefer not to.

EscapeFrom Tue 17-Jul-07 13:25:04

wear, for god's sake, WEAR

RubyRioja Tue 17-Jul-07 13:25:17

I think it is a bit mad to have carpets they are so worried about. Maybe it is good for sound???

BadHair Tue 17-Jul-07 13:26:42

Those slipper sock things with rubber grips on the bottoms? Ballet shoes?
I'd be mightily pssed if our school tried that one.

JackieNo Tue 17-Jul-07 13:27:27

A friend's daughter's school does this, and she says that some children wear slippers inside.

BadHair Tue 17-Jul-07 13:27:46

How strange, was trying to say p1ss3d off but it came out strangely! Will think of less sweary way of putting it next time!

RubyRioja Tue 17-Jul-07 13:28:06

I think the sock things might mean she gets trampled on by the big kids in trainers (not allowed really I think!). She struggles to hold ballet shoes on her skinny flippers!

elliott Tue 17-Jul-07 13:29:02

Oh my goodness, are they really going to supervise a whole classroom taking shoes on and off every break time? Whatever you get, better make sure its labelled

coppertop Tue 17-Jul-07 13:29:26

Will the teachers be wearing slippers too?

JackieNo Tue 17-Jul-07 13:29:41

Crocs? <runs away>

coppertop Tue 17-Jul-07 13:30:30

<swats at JackieNo as she zooms past>

JackieNo Tue 17-Jul-07 13:30:52

Missed.

maisym Tue 17-Jul-07 13:33:16

I've had this at school but it was no problem as at home we don't wear outside shoes. They could have bare feet, socks with a proper grip or slippers. Worked out fine. All the kids have a place to put their shoes and they take them on & off themselves. Velcro type shoes are the easiest.

RubyRioja Tue 17-Jul-07 13:34:01

Was toying with crocs, but she cannot hold them on either - might have her shod like a pony!

elliott Tue 17-Jul-07 13:36:18

Is it only me who thinks this is strange then? And who would object to being expected to buy two pairs of shoes? I really can't imagine socks, bare feet or slippers being appropriate for school - what about the dinner hall? [eeuw]

maisym Tue 17-Jul-07 13:37:50

Mine put their shoes on for dinnertime as they had to go to the dining room and then afterwards it was playtime (in the winter they also took their coats with them). Depends on the school setup.

KerryMumbledore Tue 17-Jul-07 13:38:06

They make the kids wear slippers at dss' school. Except the infant classes they get to wear their shoes (teachers don't fancy changing all those shoes to go in and out at breaks)

MrsBadger Tue 17-Jul-07 13:40:46

I thought indoor shoes went out with hats and gymslips ...

Unless you have a long walk to and from school, wear the Startrites all day and something else on the way to and from. Startrite do slippers and plimsolls as well if you wanted really good ones.

At my school (gosh, we're going back here) the convention was black laced Startrite type as outdoor shoes and brown buckle summer sandal ones thus as indoor shoes - must have cost an absolute fortune though.

Haylstones Tue 17-Jul-07 13:45:31

How about Clarks Doodles? Still Ok shoes and not too expensive? Think dd's were £12

Reallytired Tue 17-Jul-07 13:47:55

My son wear width fitted trainers. He had orthopedic problems with his feet in the past and our paediatrian feels that plimsols are unsuitable for him. He needs a better supporting shoe.

I paide £26 for his last pair of black leather width fitted trainers. He has H width feet and there is no way I could get proper fitting plimsols.

Its a pity that Clarks do not do doodles in plain black. My son wore those at nursery and they were fanastic.

robinpud Tue 17-Jul-07 13:52:15

I worked at a school who did this. It worked really well and yes the teachers did it too. kids sorted themselves out no problem. It was quieter, no running ( you can't run in slippers!) and calmer. what about the dreaded crocs?

bozza Tue 17-Jul-07 13:53:44

DD's nursery has this policy. She has had either slippers or doodles as her indoor shoes. And the same with DS - who has always been an H fitting so not so good with off-the-peg shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now