Talk

Advanced search

Siblings going to different schools

(16 Posts)
Sonicknuckles Fri 26-Apr-19 21:03:21

Hi there
Please can I hear positive stories of siblings going to different schools and it worked out ok?
My youngest didn't get into their older brothers school.
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Sonicknuckles Fri 26-Apr-19 21:31:50

Anyone please?

redstapler Fri 26-Apr-19 22:22:30

very common in the private sector. If one is extrovert and one introvert then the introvert can benefit from being away from their sibling. You can usually manage with breakfast/after school club and/or local sixth former to help and/or rota with other parents.

bombaychef Fri 26-Apr-19 23:47:38

It's fine. Loads of people have kids in separate infants and junior or middle schools. Whole areas operate that system. Some schools are split site. Our neighbouring LA has catchments and loads of out of catchment system siblings don't end up at same schools.
It's a bit more tricky logistically but not the end of the world.

bombaychef Fri 26-Apr-19 23:49:47

My kids two schools are 10-15 mins walk apart. You soon adapt

Helix1244 Sat 27-Apr-19 21:49:22

I also think it can be a good thing. Especially if one is extremely bright/difficult/outgoing/has loads of friends. At the same school that could be hard for the other.
My dc school separates them ks1 vs ks2 anyway so my 2 wouldnt be together at playtime anyway.
However obviously logistically would be a nightmare and they wouldnt be able to do clubs together either (but actually many are also ks1 /2).
Could they transfer later ? Are their spaces in your eldests year? As in dc school places opened up after a few months then more in yr 1. New came in yr 2 so probably full again but now I expect some to leave every year.
I didnt go to the same secondary as my sibling (who was v bright), it was a lot of driving

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 27-Apr-19 21:53:58

I have three in three different schools due to ages, I don’t see the problem? Why do they need to be together?

jessicawessica Sat 27-Apr-19 21:56:35

I actually turned down 1st choice school (where DS1 and DD go0. DS2 was sad that he wasn't going to the other school where all his friends were going (2nd choice).
Luckily we were able to swap as I knew how miserable DS2 would be as he finds it really hard to make new friends.
Logistically very easy. I drop DD and DS1 at 8.20am then drive over to DS2's school who start at 8.50am. Pick up DD and DS1 at 2.45pm then pick up DS1 at 3.05pm.
It can be easier if the timing works, but if they started at the same time, not sure what I'd do.

Lougle Sat 27-Apr-19 21:57:46

I have 3 that all go to different schools (MS junior, MS Secondary, Special Secondary). Before DD2 went to MS Secondary, DD2 was at MS primary and DD3 was at a MS junior, because the two schools were better suited to their different personalities.

Logistics can be fun, but they always have been with DD1 getting special transport to school and back.

Sonicknuckles Sun 28-Apr-19 15:03:07

By September my eldest will be in year 3 and has established good friendships so it would be difficult to move him and he doesn't want to

Leeds2 Sun 28-Apr-19 22:22:48

I know of two sets of triplets where the parents chose this (both private school). One was one boy and two girls, and the girls went to an all girls' school and the boy went to an all boys' school. The other three were all girls, and their parents chose a school for each girl based on an assessment of their needs. Can't remember the logistics now, but one went to all girls', the others to (different) co-eds etc. There were no problems, although the mums had to use wrap around care to logistically enable drop offs and pick ups.

AndWhatNext Sun 28-Apr-19 22:27:49

My cousin's children go to different primaries, about 10 min walk to each one but in different directions.

I thought she was bonkers, but it seems to have worked out fine. And there are a couple of other families in her road which have their kids going to the same different primaries so they share school runs. So it can work out.

Both her kids are really happy in their respective schools.

Sonicknuckles Mon 29-Apr-19 08:34:26

Thank you. I'm not bonkers I just have no choice

christinarossetti19 Mon 29-Apr-19 09:19:26

Something similar happened to friends of mine when they relocated to another city just before their youngest was about to start reception, so too late for school applications.

Their Y2 and YR children were offered places in two different schools, about 10 mins apart. They have slightly staggered start/end times.
The plan was to move one to whichever school a place came up at first.

This was four years ago. Places have come up at both schools for the respective year groups, and they haven't moved either child because they were both happy and settled.

The main potential obstacle seems to be co-ordinating the drop-offs and pick ups, which they've managed through flexible working, breakfast/after school clubs/friends etc.

fleshmarketclose Mon 29-Apr-19 09:31:47

At one point I had five dc in five different schools because of age and needs. Dc1 at local college, Dc2 at local high school, dc3 at catchment junior school, dc4 at out of catchment primary, dc5 at preschool in a different town. It was doable but we used breakfast and afterschool clubs to ensure everyone got where they should be on time and were collected on time. The downsides were differing inset days, clashes of concerts and sports days and parents evenings tbh.

sashh Mon 29-Apr-19 09:50:15

Due to a couple of house moves into and then out of an area with a middle school system and then to an area with boys and girls schools my brother and I were in separate schools most of our school lives.

Even when we were in the same school we hardly saw each other.

I hated my secondary with a passion but not because my brother wasn't there. It game me a chance to be me, not the 'little sister of'.

The downsides were differing inset days, clashes of concerts and sports days and parents evenings tbh.

Considering I was at the RC girls' school and my brother was at the RC boys' school you would have thought that the schools would communicate.

The mixed VI form was at the boys' school, the boys' school were doing some fundraising and wanted VI form girls to do something, I think it was to have a new hairdo to advertise a hairdresser, but they planned it on the same evening as the prize giving at the girls' school the VI form girls had just left and we all had prizes to collect.

A few years later, when easter was either late or early the two schools had different Easter holidays.

Sorry going off topic there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in