Primary school appeal help needed!

(22 Posts)
MrsClarke2b Tue 16-Apr-19 08:01:51

So my son has been refused all 4 of our primary school choices and was then offered a place at our local school which on my application I said was what I was trying to avoid as I am the deputy head there and want him to go to school away for my place of work as I feel this would be a detriment to his education if he was to attend the same school. How do I go about the appeal what grounds do I state and how? Any help at all greatly appreciated. Very concerned and have hardly slept since finding out at midnight- worse possible situation we could have been given right now.

OP’s posts: |
MoreSlidingDoors Tue 16-Apr-19 08:03:48

That doesn’t fall within any of the admissions criteria, does it? Can’t imagine it’s grounds for appeal. Plenty of teachers have their own children attend the schools they teach in.

BarbarianMum Tue 16-Apr-19 08:04:35

You appeal for a particular school not against one, so it will be tricky. And if it is an infant class size appeal even more so as you will need to show that the admitting authority made a mistake. I suggest you get onto the waiting list for each school you prefer asap.

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Apr-19 08:05:27

Unless you have so little faith in the ability of your own school to provide your son with a decent education, (in which case you should probably resign) then he will be fine.

My mum taught at my primary school, my dad at my secondary school. Lots and lots of teachers have their children at their school. It will not be a detriment to his education.

Pppppppp1234 Tue 16-Apr-19 08:06:47

Not sure how much luck you will have as appeals tend to be if there is a clear error, ie SEND child placed in one that has little provision.

My best friends dad was the head of our secondary school, didn’t have any impact on her at all as he wasn’t teaching.
My mum was a teacher at my secondary school I hated it as she had a form group in my year at school and taught my friends.

Primary I wouldn’t really worry about to be honest..... not sure if you will have a good enough argument for the place. Get on the waiting list for your preferred school.

ShaggyRug Tue 16-Apr-19 08:07:10

I’m sure an expert will be along soon but you need to remember that you will appeal FOR the school you want. You are NOT appealing AGAINST the school you don’t want.

If this is an appeal for an infant class then you might struggle to win any appeal unless you can prove a mistake was made in the admissions process. Eg wrong distance used, you were placed in the wrong category etc.

You would be advised to go on the waitlists for any and all schools that you would prefer. Chances are you’re already placed on the Waitlists for the schools you put on your preference form.

ShaggyRug Tue 16-Apr-19 08:08:33


Unless you have so little faith in the ability of your own school to provide your son with a decent education, (in which case you should probably resign) then he will be fine.

Very much this ^ ^ ^

I know many people who’s parents work and teach in the children’s schools.


notmuchmoretogive Tue 16-Apr-19 08:08:35

As others have said you can appeal for other schools not against your allocation. You can be put on the continued interest list for the other schools.

I think you are over worrying about your child attending your school, how do you think it will be detrimental to their education? It really shouldn't.

IceRebel Tue 16-Apr-19 08:09:22

Surely having him at another school would be a nightmare for drop offs and collections. As well as school events, Christmas plays etc, at least this way you're able to attend them all.

I believe you can go on the other schools waiting lists, but you wouldn't have a reason to appeal the decision.

rainbowstardrops Tue 16-Apr-19 08:19:42

It always bothers me slightly when teachers don't want their own children to attend the school where they work because it makes me immediately think that they don't think the school is good enough.
My daughter used to attend the school where I work and whilst she was placed in the other reception class to me, it wasn't a problem at all (and nice to keep an eye on her wink).
In fact, a child at the junior part of the school, has his mum as the headteacher! He's treated just like any other pupil.
Maybe give it some more thought before you jump to appeal (unless of course you don't think the school is good enough?)

Littlefish Tue 16-Apr-19 08:45:00

I completely understand not wanting your child to be at the school where you teach. It's nothing to do with not being confident in the standard of education, and everything to do with wanting your child to have the opportunity to develop independently, as the person they want to be, not as "Ms so-and-so's child". I also think it can be really hard on teachers to develop friendships with parents as a result of their children. I know that several teachers at our school are constantly pumped (subtly) for information by acquaintances on the playground. It's extremely wearing for them.

None of that helps your dilemma, but I do understand your reasons for not wanting your child at your school.

Smoggle Tue 16-Apr-19 08:52:04

Are there any undersubscribed schools within commuting distance?

You're probably best off to find an available school place yourself. I don't think you will get a place at your choices if they are all full, but you can go on the waiting lists.

PanelChair Tue 16-Apr-19 09:34:04

As others have said, if these other schools have PANs of 30 (or multiples of 30) these will be infant class size appeals, which you will win only if you can show that there has been an error or the decision is so unreasonable as to be irrational. I doubt that you could convince any appeal panel of that - it’s not unusual for children to attend the school where a parent teaches - but there’s nothing to stop you trying.

Asgoodasarest Tue 16-Apr-19 09:34:20

I second little fish. I also avoided one local school as I have a relative working there. Nothing to do with the standard of teaching etc (in fact I thought it was excellent). There’s nothing wrong with wanting to keep things separate, but I’m not sure how successful an appeal will be. I think they’re generally quite difficult to win. Definitely get on continued interest.
Fingers crossed it works out ok for you x

Hoppinggreen Tue 16-Apr-19 09:36:25

I know everyone’s circumstances are different but I know at least 3 teachers at my DS school with a parent who teaches there.
I very much doubt it’s grounds for appeal

SunburstsOrMarbleHalls Tue 16-Apr-19 09:44:04

I would make sure that you are on the waiting lists for all four of your other preferred schools and would advise that you don't refuse the place that your son has been allocated unless you are prepared to home school/enter independent sector.

Are there any other schools locally that are under subscribed that you did not originally apply to but would prefer to his allocated school? If so you could place a late application to one of them.

If all of your four preferences have a PAN of 30 or a multiple of 30 then you will be dealing with infant class size rules. Unless the admission criteria has been incorrectly applied for your application or the decision to not allow a place is unreasonable to the point of irrational then these appeals are very difficult to win.

As others have said you are appealing for the other schools not against the allocated school.

NewSchoolNewName Tue 16-Apr-19 09:44:08

I wouldn’t have thought you can appeal on the grounds that you teach at the allocated school.
It’s not unusual for a child to attend the school their parent teaches at. Some of the academy schools near me even have oversubscription policies giving preference to teachers children, so I doubt an appeals panel would find it at all unreasonable to leave a child in their parents school.

I’d make sure you’re on the waiting lists for the other schools.

prh47bridge Tue 16-Apr-19 10:07:28

Most primary appeals are infant class size cases. You can only win an ICS case if a mistake has been made or the decision to refuse admission is unreasonable (which essentially means irrational). You won't win an ICS appeal just because you don't want your child to attend the school where you teach.

If any of your appeals are not ICS cases you will have a better chance but you will need to come up with a better case. You need to show that the disadvantage to your son from not being admitted to the appeal school outweighs any problems the school will face from having to cope with an additional child. An appeal panel is unlikely to accept that your son going to the school where you teach is a significant disadvantage so you need to look for other factors - things that are available at the appeal school but are not available at your school and that are particularly relevant to your son.

viques Tue 16-Apr-19 10:31:54

I know many children who have been pupils at the schools where their parents teach. It doesn't seem to be a problem apart from the kids getting fed up of hanging around after school waiting for their parents to finish! You will need a good childminder to collect and for drop off too otherwise your child will start taking their pjs in their book bag smile

One child because of complicated last minute staffing ended up in his mums class. He was worried about what to call her in class, she left it up to him and his friends said it would be silly to call your mum Jenny (it was a first name school) so call her mum. So he did and nobody fainted or died.

admission Tue 16-Apr-19 12:19:00

I fully understand the reasoning behind your wish for your child not to go to your school but given it is is the local school it was always on the cards that this would be the school offered.

As others have said the reality is that you are unlikely to win at appeal in the circumstances because of the infant class size cases. So the immediate priority is to accept the offered place, so ensuring that you do have a place. Then make sure that you are on the waiting list for all the schools you prefer. You can then decide whether to appeal for the other schools or not. Whilst I think your chances are slim, I would always say appeal because you never know whether a mistake has been made and that will only become clear when you see the detail of the appeal documents. You can withdraw your appeal at any time.

If the idea of having your child in the same school is something that is always going to be a problem for you then there is an alternative. That is for you to leave your child at the local school and for you to look to move schools to a comparable position.

Hoppinggreen Tue 16-Apr-19 13:57:25

obviously you must put your own child first but if it gets out how determined you were that your child NOT go to the school where you are a member of the SLT I imagine it will raise a few eyebrows.

Yellowcar2 Tue 16-Apr-19 14:12:04

I know exactly how you feel OP I am a teacher in the leadership team - I have complete faith in my schools ability to teach it's pupils but personally preferred to not have my children attend.
I'm not sure about appeal process but good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in