Talk

Advanced search

How long your children revise each day?

(80 Posts)
Turefu Fri 12-Apr-19 21:44:53

My son is in Year Two and just had his mock SATs. He met expected standards, but I hoped he’ll exceed maths. How long your children spend on revising each week? My son does his homework, but other then that we only play educational games with him, say how much is this added this.

OP’s posts: |
BikeRunSki Fri 12-Apr-19 21:46:33

No time at all. Y2, Y5. Homework once a week, reading everyday, music practise most days.its never crossed my mind for them to revise.

Needcoffeecoffeecoffee Fri 12-Apr-19 21:46:47

None.
They are in primary school.
They don't revise
They do homework and read and before playing on the tablet have to do 15 mins of a maths game but otherwise they just, you know, play
Because they are young children

mumsnitter Fri 12-Apr-19 21:47:13

Zero hours

grumpyyetgorgeous Fri 12-Apr-19 21:49:05

Please don't make your 6-7 year old revise for the sats, they don't matter and it's much better to be a happy, well rounded age related than a tired, stressed exceeding.

harrietkatie Fri 12-Apr-19 21:49:08

He doesn't 'revise' as such... but he has his homework and we read. He has got those exercise books, which he will do when he wants to, but I don't pressure him. But then his school do not do SATS...

flitwit99 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:50:04

None. 5 minutes reading maybe twice a week. A token attempt at the homework once a week.

Parker231 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:52:00

None - preferred for them to play, sports activities, music etc . They didn’t do homework during primary and still left school with all A’s at their A levels.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 12-Apr-19 21:52:48

None. Our class teachers actually asked us not to do this with them at home, they said there was little point and could be very much counter productive. They aim for the children not to be aware that they are doing external tests. This is a high achieving outstanding school, for context.

Pixie2015 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:53:04

Reading or looking at pictures of books of own choice - no revision - no pressure as outcome doesn’t mean anything

PhilomenaButterfly Fri 12-Apr-19 21:53:38

My DC didn't revise at all. It wasn't a big deal.

ValleyoftheHorses Fri 12-Apr-19 21:56:39

He’s 6 so doesn’t revise shock He does the homework that is set and reads. SATs haven’t been mentioned by school once (independent school) although I know they do them. Do state schools make a thing of it in year 2 then?

Isitmybathtimeyet Fri 12-Apr-19 21:57:12

Eh? How do you revise in year 2?

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 21:59:02

Absolutely none at 6. Honestly, OP- please take this on board. He should be doing no revision at all!!!

caughtinanet Fri 12-Apr-19 22:00:08

Literally no time at all

TheClaifeCrier Fri 12-Apr-19 22:01:00

At my son's school the year two children aren't even aware they are doing sats when the tests take place. Can't imagine anyone making them revise for it.

bellinisurge Fri 12-Apr-19 22:02:03

Revise what?

Turefu Fri 12-Apr-19 22:02:07

Thanks for all your replies. That’s nice to know I’m not doing anything wrong. It’s a state school. Just got papers saying “ please revise with your child for at least 20 minutes daily before their SATs in May”. I was wondering , maybe I’m not doing enough.

OP’s posts: |
cucumbergin Fri 12-Apr-19 22:02:42

Zero hours. DS is working at Y1 level. So we read together, he sometimes (unprompted) plays with Squeebles or Big Numbers, we chat with him, play with Lego, paint Easter eggs, etc.

His teacher hasn't even mentioned SATs. If they do it like the phonics test last year DS will have no idea there was an exam. That would be success as far as I'm concerned. He is 6. He does not need to think about any kind of grading or assessment.

BarbarAnna Fri 12-Apr-19 22:03:01

Same as @flitwit99

As others have said, our school have specifically said no revision and the kids don’t know they are doing a test. They will get a biscuit and squash after and that is the only way we might know if they have done them, and that is only if they tell us about their secret treat at school!

Norestformrz Fri 12-Apr-19 22:07:32

InY2 the results of the tests aren't reported

IncrediblySadToo Fri 12-Apr-19 22:12:02

‘Please torture YOUR child so OUR results look good’

🙄

Not a prayer.

Y2. Read/be read to daily.
A little bit of homework a couple of times a week/weekend. Max.

Norestformrz Fri 12-Apr-19 22:16:22

*"*^*Please torture YOUR child so OUR results look good’*^*l* they won't make the school look good ...they're not reported!

Pharlapwasthebest Sat 13-Apr-19 09:12:27

@norest they are a measure of the now the school is performing, that’s why they are done.

TheVanguardSix Sat 13-Apr-19 09:14:53

None.
No revision.

My A level DS revises.

My kids in primary school do not.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in