Talk

Advanced search

Test at the end of P1 in Northern Ireland

(4 Posts)
Folicky Thu 04-Apr-19 11:24:05

Re: the phonics test at the end of primary 1, is this the same as the UK phonics test at the end of reception?
If so, my son is going to struggle with those pseudo words eg poosh, isk, uct, prool, tesh, chack.
He know the sounds that go with all the letters and can decipher some simple words, but doesn’t seem to have covered blended sounds eg ch, st, pr yet
Any advice? I’m looking at the Kipper, Chip & Biff ‘My Phonics Kit’ and that looks a level above what my guy’s doing unless they’ve got some cramming planned for the last few months. At his last parent teacher meeting, he got a good report.

Any insights? TIA

OP’s posts: |
Triangled Thu 04-Apr-19 13:08:32

Pretty sure the phonics test in England is at the end of year 1, not reception. Do they do the same test in P1 in NI? How old are kids going into p1?

Johnnysmilkingparlour Thu 04-Apr-19 13:13:33

We are in England. My two took/will take part in a phonics screening at the end of year 1 which is the second year of infant school. If P1 is the same as reception here then is your DC is a year younger?

It sounds like it must be a different test.

Folicky Thu 04-Apr-19 20:37:13

Thanks guys that makes more sense. It could get to that speed by next year, not within a few months

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in