Talk

Advanced search

Reception child left in playground

(29 Posts)
rcat Sat 23-Mar-19 23:46:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Chocolate35 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:51:26

Definitely not right. You should have called them straight away, I bet they’d be mortified. A teacher or TA has to see a parent before they release the child. That could have been really dangerous. I’d make them aware of their mistake.

dottyp0104 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:52:33

Definately not right and one of my fears.

rcat Sat 23-Mar-19 23:54:02

YourSarcasmIsDripping Sun 24-Mar-19 00:13:20

Mention it Monday morning. These things shouldn't happen,but sometimes they do. It could've been an issue of every grownup assuming the other talked to you and confirmed you were picking up. The fact that children that have been released to a carer can play with ones that haven't is not really ok either as it can cause confusion. A change of policy might be in order.

BrylcreamBeret Sun 24-Mar-19 00:17:30

Bloody hell that's awful! Did the child's mum realize what had happened op?

rcat Sun 24-Mar-19 00:19:46

BrylcreamBeret Sun 24-Mar-19 00:24:18

Tell the school on Monday what happened Op, my guess is they will be on hyper alert to ensure this doesn't happen again and measures may be put in place. Don't stress over the school trip, I know it's easily done flowers

user789653241 Sun 24-Mar-19 07:39:56

I don't think it's right. At our school, they let child out of door one by one, and directly to parents/carer in ks1. Parents need to inform the school if someone else is picking them up.
Don't let your child go play with other children if their parents weren't there. It's school's fault, so you need to speak to them, but they may have simply thought you were picking him up, if there wasn't a strict rule.(Which is totally wrong too.)

user789653241 Sun 24-Mar-19 07:43:02

School trips are totally fine, if you are really worried, maybe you can volunteer to go with them?

Twotome Sun 24-Mar-19 08:13:40

This would be a major concern for me and should have been flagged up at the time.

Soontobe60 Sun 24-Mar-19 08:19:59

Why did you not just take the child to the school office and tell the, what had happened?
It seems that their system at home time needs some adjusting. In our Reception and KS1 classes an adult stands at the door and sends the child out once the parent arrives at the door. If they are taking all the children outside for pick up, I'm assuming each member of staff assumed this child was going with you but failed to check.
This is a serious safeguarding issue and as such you need to speak to the DSL on Monday morning. Go into school, ask the office to speak to the designated safeguarding lead and do not leave until you have done so. Do not tell the office staff why, this must be kept confidential. Just tell them it is a serious safeguarding matter.

rcat Sun 24-Mar-19 08:20:22

rcat Sun 24-Mar-19 08:21:21

7circlemats Sun 24-Mar-19 08:24:56

I think it was strange that you stood outside with the child for 10 minutes instead of taking them into school and explaining what had happened. Yes they should definitely have checked with you that you were collecting the child (if that is what you assumed) but equally your response to the situation was strange.

Bluerussian Sun 24-Mar-19 08:26:14

Not right at all, complain strongly.

Soontobe60 Sun 24-Mar-19 08:28:12

DSL
Designated safeguarding lead. Every school has to have one. In most schools it's the Head or Deputy.
In this instance, they will report back to the Head (if it's someone else) and the Head will deal with the staff in Reception. They will look at hand over procedures and you may notice a change in them if they tighten them up.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sun 24-Mar-19 08:29:43

of course it isn't right! You definitely should have let the staff know immediately that they had left a child unattended - telling them next week may be brushed off and not have the same impact in terms of them being more careful in future.

Monstermissy36 Sun 24-Mar-19 08:35:46

This happened to my ds once. I was working he should of been in the after school club but instead managed to get himself out on the playground to play at home time. School locked doors and left him and my friend found him happily playing and took him to reception.

He's in high school now but I really should of made a bigger fuss, they apologised but the gates are all open at that time he could of gone anywhere. Tbf they watched him like a hawk for the rest of his primary years...

rcat Sun 24-Mar-19 08:36:48

Comefromaway Sun 24-Mar-19 08:39:39

It sounds like procedure needs to be changed. At the primary mine went touncollected children were not allowed to play until collected by their career. They were released one by one.

HogMother Sun 24-Mar-19 08:46:34

If your child had been left with a stranger, would you be happy for them to hang around (preferable to leaving maybe) or would you want them to alert staff immediately?
Out of interest, what point would you have alerted someone?
Also, why were you still there? I collect my child and leave, what was going on for you to stay and the teachers to make this mistake?
They actually shouldn’t have allowed the child to run off and play, and this is what probably went wrong

GoldenHour Sun 24-Mar-19 09:05:39

This is wrong for 2 reasons 1) they shouldn't have left him 2) for safeguarding reasons they never should have let you take him (not that you did, but that seems to be the general assumption as to why they went in). Report it back to the school. If the mother is always late that's for the school to address with her.

NewSchoolNewName Sun 24-Mar-19 09:34:39

Agree you need to report this to the school Monday morning, this definitely shouldn’t have happened.

Both the schools we’ve been to have had a policy of not letting children in infant school go - including off to play with other children - until the parent / carer has arrived to collect the child.

Scrumptiousbears Sun 24-Mar-19 09:39:11

How odd. At my DD school the teacher stands at the door and calls each child when their carer turns up.

Were they just allowed to run around outside in the playground then?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in