Talk

Advanced search

Confused about DDs' school reports

(6 Posts)
sandyballs Mon 09-Jul-07 11:37:45

Got our first written report from school - DD's are in year 1. Reception didn't give written reports, just a parents evening.

Both girls seem to be doing well but I'm confused as to how they grade the attainment section. One of them has got lots of 1's (C, B, or A), the other has got more 2's - does 1 mean equivalent to year 1 and the 2's equivalent to year 2?

I know each school probably has a different system, but wondered if anyone could shed light on this, before I ask the school and seem a thicko .

hana Mon 09-Jul-07 11:39:56

no, the numbers are levels within each subject, and the a/b/c are sublevels

so a level 2 is a higher attainment than a level 1
and a 1a is higher than 1b

LIZS Mon 09-Jul-07 11:40:24

Sounds like KS scales, ours don't use them though. Think a 2 is expected at end of KS1 and the letters then apply within it but can't recall the order.

cece Mon 09-Jul-07 11:41:07

No they are levels of the National Curriculum.

Leverl 1 is lower than level 2.

Level 2 is what an average year 2 child would get in their SATs tests at the end of year 2.

So it would go like this, starting with the lowest marks|:

W
1c
1b
1a
2c
2b
2a

hana Mon 09-Jul-07 11:43:29

schools generally don't use W anymore (the old 'working towards') it was replaced with 'P levels' to show progression within any given subject

the school should have given out guidance on how to 'read' the levels, you won't be the only parents confused!

sandyballs Mon 09-Jul-07 12:39:16

Thanks, it is rather confusing isn't it. I agree that the school should have sent a separate note on how to decipher the report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now