Talk

Advanced search

What atlas at home for DS (5)

(5 Posts)
mankyscotslass Sun 08-Jul-07 12:12:11

He has started to ask about where in the world our extended family live, and I would like something to talk about at home with him.
I have seen the Usborne illustrated atlas, and the Oxford illustrated one, but I am not sure which is best for a child going onto KS1 in September. Any opinions/ideas?

suedonim Sun 08-Jul-07 15:25:16

I'd buy the one your ds likes the most. We have acquired a number of atlases over the years, each has its own quality.

lilolilmanchester Sun 08-Jul-07 15:28:18

At 5, you might be better with a "map of the world" or a globe rather than/as well as an atlas so he can see how it all "fits together"? Not sure that it would be obvious from an atlas?

katelyle Sun 08-Jul-07 15:32:56

We have a big globe - it's been great for placing family members! Ane when they were a bit older where we used to spin it, stop it with our eyes shut and then look up something about the place where our finger landed. Great fun - and I think easier to understand a globe than a flat map. You can also do fun things with a torch and a ball in the dark. These things could even include the globe............

LIZS Sun 08-Jul-07 15:47:13

ds has a Ladybird picture atlas and a globe. KS1 is hardly demanding lol !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now