Talk

Advanced search

Maths and Non-verbal reasoning puzzle books/apps for yr 4

(7 Posts)
Chocwocdoodah Mon 04-Mar-19 23:51:41

My DD is 8 and loves puzzle books. I thought I could use this to her advantage by introducing her to some non-verbal reasoning puzzles (thinking ahead to the 11+!) and maths ones (as she’s not v confident at maths).

Can anyone recommend any fun books (that don’t look like text books!) or apps/websites appropriate for her age please?

OP’s posts: |
nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 05-Mar-19 22:39:56

not got it handy but we had a set of 4 IQ puzzle books from the Book People which proved popular with one of my girls. The other one rejected anything remotely mathematical and I had to specifically buy her a puzzle book of word puzzles from The Works!

HomeMadeMadness Tue 05-Mar-19 23:28:31

Yes! The math quest books are great (There are quite a few of the top of my head museum of mysteries, mansion of mazes, cavern of clues, the island of tomorrow). Great adventure books not remotely like a textbook. My son devoured them. They focus on the problem solving aspect of maths (rather than just arithmetic). My son loves them.

Chocwocdoodah Tue 05-Mar-19 23:57:26

Fantastic, thank you - will take a look!

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 06-Mar-19 20:59:10

look up The adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat and The Number Devil (that has a pink fluffy calculator in the story!)

user789653241 Thu 07-Mar-19 11:18:33

These websites are great for more outside of the box, problem solving approach to maths.

brilliant.org/
parallel.org.uk/

Chocwocdoodah Sat 09-Mar-19 23:56:20

These look great - thank you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in