Talk

Advanced search

So... Foundation Stage scores. What do they mean please.

(16 Posts)
dizzymac Thu 05-Jul-07 16:57:41

My DD has just got her reception report ( all in school speak)...

I am a Key stage 2 teacher so knew about this but would have thought completing reception would get more than a 1 sentence comment about her personally ( Sorry rant over)

However, that aside we were also given a list of scores for the level scores. She got all 8s. Is this good? What is the max she could get?

Bartholomewgook Thu 05-Jul-07 17:01:35

dizzymac, I think 9 is the highest score so sounds like she is doing fabbo!

you may find details here

I know you can get teh booklet online so you can see exactly waht comes under '8' and '9'. Will keep looking for you, it's been posted before.

Bartholomewgook Thu 05-Jul-07 17:05:16

this is interesting but still doesn't have scores on - am still looking!

saadia Thu 05-Jul-07 17:15:15

Ds1's Reception report listed areas of development in different categories, in each area there were nine targets and next to each was either "Working Towards/Achieved/Working Beyind". The accompanying note said that it was unusual for a child to reach the ninth level.

The teacher's comments overall and in each category were fairly detailed.

Based on this, if your dd got all 8s it sounds like she's doing well. Ds also got all 8s and all the comments said that he was making great progress.

gladbag Thu 05-Jul-07 17:49:31

Have a look at this thread from last year. Hope it helps.

dayofftomorrow Thu 05-Jul-07 18:42:02

Did they not draw a spiders web for you at the back of report, very uncommon for a child to get over 100 (was told that by year 1 teacher)

dayofftomorrow Thu 05-Jul-07 18:42:57

maximum is 117 (strange number but 13 sections with maximum of 9 each)

Reallytired Thu 05-Jul-07 19:12:27

Well, at least you are one step ahead of the rest of us being a teacher.

my son has had mixture of 9s, 8s and a couple of 7s. I was really surprised that he got such a high mark for physical development when he used to have a physiotheraphist. He also got a 9 for speaking inspite of the fact he still makes loads of gramatical errors in his speech.

I think there is a conspiratory to keep information about progress of kids secret from the parents.

dizzymac Thu 05-Jul-07 19:18:48

Sorry I've been so long getting back. Thanks for al the help. it's looking a little less muddy now, thanks.

It is good to know she HAS been doing something this year

lljkk Thu 05-Jul-07 19:37:54

Does everyone get foundation scores nowadays?

Can't remember them on DS previous school reports (he's now Yr2).

hana Sun 08-Jul-07 23:51:38

my daughter didn't get any scores on her reception report this year - do all reception children?

cat64 Mon 09-Jul-07 00:36:32

Message withdrawn

cat64 Mon 09-Jul-07 00:38:52

Message withdrawn

dayofftomorrow Mon 09-Jul-07 08:53:52

There are some strange bits in the foundation profile, there is one section about being aware of other cultures which at a relatively rural faith school could not be covered but had to have a score (not worried as she had been at an inner london nursery near my workplace so quite possibly knew as much as the reception teacher) so take account of the areas covered with each "score"

The overall class profile is of use to the year 1 teacher as part of getting to know the class in advance

dinny Sat 14-Jul-07 13:11:37

think our class average was 98 out of 117 - don't know what national average is though...

crap you only got a one-sentence report though.

singersgirl Sat 14-Jul-07 20:07:48

Last year, when DS2 finished Reception, we didn't get any actual scores, just the comments. His teacher told me that his score was in the 'highest percentile' though.

Some of the points are really odd and random, though, like respecting other people's beliefs. Many adults have a problem with this, so it's a tough call for a 4 or 5 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now