Talk

Advanced search

EWO MEETING!

(9 Posts)
drivenbyinsanity Fri 15-Feb-19 15:01:07

HI!

So my DD is 7yrs old and I received a letter today stating that i am to have a meeting in 2 weeks time to explain my DDs absences, her current attendance level is 90% which has actually improved since last term from 88%.
A few things that im concerned about is why after an improvement have they involved the EWO? and the fact that a few of her absences are because of my anxiety and depression blush
I know that they wont take any of this into account, which is fine really i cant help what's already been done but as i said her attendance is improving and im worried that if i am honest about my struggles they may involve social services regardless of the improvement.
Has anyone had a similar experience with their metal health and struggling with school? i just would like to know what to expect and if i should just keep quiet? i dont know what to do and i am so scared about what they are going to do sad
Any input is appreciated

Thankyou smile

continuallychargingmyphone Fri 15-Feb-19 15:02:49

90% isn’t great to be honest. Do you mean you keep her off to care for you?

drivenbyinsanity Fri 15-Feb-19 15:15:01

No she doesnt care for me. its not that 90% is good its the fact that its improved, and obviously i expect it to carry on improving. i kind of just want to know what to expect, and if i should be as worried as i am about it.

SexNotJenga Fri 15-Feb-19 15:18:23

Are you getting any help with your MH?

drivenbyinsanity Fri 15-Feb-19 15:28:47

over the years ive been on and off meds, im off ATM as im in the process of registering with a GP so will have to wait to get a appt. im just really hoping that they take the improvement into account?

Shinyletsbebadguys Fri 15-Feb-19 15:33:54

I think it will partly depend on why your anxiety and depression meant she was kept off to be honest, if it's something that they feel may slip again possibly

However be clear with them the steps you are taking to ensure her attendance and the plans and contingencies you have in place so they can see it's not just being ignored

Hollowvictory Fri 15-Feb-19 16:43:42

Hi, whilst it's a step in the right direction that her attendance has improved, with a 90% attendance rate she's basically missing a day a fortnight which means a lot of missed schooling unfortunately. You can't keep her off due to your own issues she has to go to school regardless. You need to find a way to make that happen eg perhaps another parent could take her and you return the favour another time. You must take this very seriously, get help for your condi and get your child to school. Be honest about your issues perhaps ewo can help in some way. Good luck

Nat6999 Fri 15-Feb-19 17:14:53

I've always found EWO meetings a waste of time, they lay all the blame on parents,never consider that schools aren't playing their part in pupils missing school by not stamping hard enough on bullies & understanding the stress that some kids suffer attending school. My DS is ASD & also suffers from anxiety & depression. The greatest part of his anxiety is caused by school, no matter how much we have argued for extra support for DS at school, it never gets carried out properly, he was given a plan with TA assistance for certain hours each week, 3 weeks into the plan they stopped the TA support, I contacted the SENCO & got the bland answer, " we can't afford TA support for your son" all because educationally he is bright, it doesn't matter to them that he suffers severe stress & anxiety. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, he is on a waiting list to see a psychologist, has been waiting over a year & we have been told by his neurodisability consultant that he will probably be waiting for at least another 2 years before he gets to see anyone,by that time he will be 17 & have already gone through GCSE'S. CAMHS won't entertain him because he is under neurodisability, nobody will prescribe medication for him until he has seen a psychologist, it's so sad that he is suffering because of the system, it's not his fault or mine.

4point2fleet Fri 15-Feb-19 17:22:29

If your mental health is stopping you from getting your DD to school you need to be actively seeking support. It's not OK for her to miss her education because you are unwell. Maybe use the EWO meeting as a first step towards getting something in place to get her in if/ when you can't do it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: