Talk

Advanced search

Big math clic 9

(7 Posts)
anbady Thu 14-Feb-19 17:00:49

Hi everyone,
Could someone share examples of big math clic 9? My daughter is struggling with that but cannot explain what the problem is. It is impossible to find the examples on Google. I would very much appreciate any help here!

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Thu 14-Feb-19 20:07:19

Here it is. There are 10 versions of CLIC 9 (Weeks 1-10) where the questions change so that the numbers aren't identical, but the concepts covered in each question are always the same - so question 1 is always ordering 4 two-digit numbers, question 8 is always division using tables facts (2, 3, 4, and 5 times tables, iirc) with remainders etc.

Does she not get to bring her tests home? We give the previous week's tests out at the start of the lesson so they can look over them, then they can take them home at the end of the day. If they don't normally take them home, could you ask the teacher if she could bring one home to really show you the problem?

What year group is she? CLIC 9 is supposed to be for Y2 Summer term, but loads of my Y4s are still on it.

anbady Fri 15-Feb-19 13:30:43

Thank you so much for sharing this example...It is very helpful. She is in Year 2 and has never been given a previous week example to work on it at home. Thanks indeed for your advice to ask the teacher (which I am going to do). Much is going unsaid in our school...so you need to ask around to understand what is actually going on. It puts a lot of stress on parents and children. Many thanks for your help! It has made the things clear.

anbady Fri 15-Feb-19 14:45:22

By the way, is there a difference between Clic 9 Set: 1 and Clic 9 Wk: 1 as she is tested as Clic 9 wk:1? Is Set: 1 is same as Wk:1?

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Fri 15-Feb-19 17:48:50

Yes - Set 1 and Week 1 are the same I think - I think they've just started saying set 1 set 2 etc on them - I'm pretty sure it used to be week 1 week 2 etc.

Is it Q8 she's getting stuck on, by any chance? That's what's stopping a handful of mine moving up. That and Q3.

It's a bit weird sending ours home, because they bring them home on a Friday, a week after they've done them, when they've already done the next set. It has to be like this because they have to be inputted into the computer to then generate the children's next challenges for the following week. We could send them home as soon as they've been inputted, but we find it helpful for them to look at their mistakes just before they do the next test. The teacher and I tend to go around the classroom as they're looking over it and ask if they've got any they don't understand.

anbady Fri 15-Feb-19 22:43:08

Yes, she is stuck on Q8 not Q3. I didn't know the questions so was not able to help her and she didn't remember. At least I've got your example now and can practice it with her. I am also going to ask the teacher whether children are given a chance to look and learn from their previous tests. I think it is very important to do this. Thanks!

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Sat 16-Feb-19 08:47:08

Yeah, I thought it might be Q8 grin

I've found it helps children to write out the table fact they're using, so in the example above they would write down 9x5=45, and that helps them see that then the remainder is 3. It also helps to remind them that the question is asking for the number of groups of 5 which can be made, not the multiple of 5. There's a question on the previous level (CLIC 8) which asks "Mully is hiding behind the biggest multiple of 5 without going past 48" so essentially the same question, but is asking for the multiple of 5 rather than the number of groups. So she may be getting confused between those. It's also worth reminding her that it's perfectly acceptable to turn her test over and write out the 5 times table (or whatever you're dividing by) to help her find the answer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »