Talk

Advanced search

Standardised scores

(9 Posts)
Bitlost Mon 11-Feb-19 19:25:43

Dd’s teacher (year 5) tells me that DD’s standardised score in maths is 115, which is the highest. I thought the highest was 120??? Confused. Am I missing something?

Underhiseye2 Mon 11-Feb-19 19:48:19

yes it does go higher,. maybe she was the highest in the cohort at her school., does it really matter?

Bitlost Mon 11-Feb-19 21:09:28

Probably doesn’t. I’m just trying to understand the system.

Mummyshark2018 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:25:12

Yes it does go higher. Your dc scored exactly within 1 standard deviation of the mean (average score =100). Basically means your child scored above average.

Somethingsmellsnice Tue 12-Feb-19 11:43:21

She meant the highest in her cohort at that school.

GrammerlyH Thu 14-Feb-19 15:00:23

Generally speaking, 100 is the exact average, anything from 80-120 is within the average range, anything below 80 may indicate some learning support is needed and anything over 120 is really good.

irvineoneohone Fri 15-Feb-19 09:21:43

I think KS2 Sats go up to 120 but other test like nfer used in other year groups would go up to even higher scores.

extrastrongmints Fri 15-Feb-19 16:36:07

Scaled scores are not standardised scores - they are completely different things.

Standardised scores are reported for many standard tests of ability and attainment (WISC, Stanford-Binet, BAS, WIAT etc). They are constructed to be normal, usually with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. If you know the standardised score, you know exactly where in the distribution you are (the percentile). Most standardised scores will cover the range 60-140 or even 40-160 (4 standard deviations).

Scaled scores (as used for SATs) appear at first sight to be similar, but are fundamentally different. They are contrived such that 100 = the "expected standard" (NOT the mean). The distribution of scaled scores is generally not normal, and usually not even reported. You can't work out the percentiles from the scaled scores. A score of 115 does NOT indicate you are 1 standard deviation from the mean. Scaled scores generally cover a far smaller numerical range than standardised scores (e.g. 80 - 120).
Since the underlying distribution is unspecified, the score range highly restricted and the percentile equivalents indeterminate, scaled scores are useless for practical purposes such as gifted identification.

If one were cynically inclined one could speculate that one reason for introducing scaled scores was to fiddle the numbers so that no child could ever be identified as gifted by the test, and thus no action would be required or demanded, providing no one digs too deeply into how the numbers were generated.

irvineoneohone Fri 15-Feb-19 19:40:59

extra, great explanation. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: