Talk

Advanced search

WATCH CH 5 NOW OR FIVE LIFE @ 12.10..............PHONICS........................

(20 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 10:22:55

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 11:54:21

watch it

very interesting

Ladymuck Mon 02-Jul-07 11:57:59

Which progrma is it part of?

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 11:59:46

THE WRIGHT STUFF

THE REPEAT IS ON FIVE LIFE NOW

BUT THE READING THING IS ON AROUND 12.10

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:04:42

ROSEN’S READING CLINIC
Children’s Laureate Michael Rosen will be taking your calls on anything to do with kids and books. Everything from whether to buy picture books for your babies to how to get older kids reading themselves. If you want to get your kids interested in all things literary, but don’t know how, pick up the phone.

Author Michael Rosen has his own website: here is michael's website

Enid Mon 02-Jul-07 12:07:52

what are they talking about at the moment?

Ladymuck Mon 02-Jul-07 12:08:48

young children telling lies i think? Not sure what point they're making?

Enid Mon 02-Jul-07 12:09:42

god its reminding me why id odnt watch daytime telly

Ladymuck Mon 02-Jul-07 12:11:12

You missed your chance to phone in with your phonics/Ginn question1

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:11:55

It is on in a mo

After adverts

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:16:33

IME and IMHO different children respond to different ways of teaching

Like in the "old days" but now the government decide that only one way of teaching children to read and I think it is wrong

Different children = different methods

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:17:43

On now

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:18:44

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Jul-07 12:24:17

frances5 Mon 02-Jul-07 13:07:47

The previous discussion on how evil samll babies are and how they malipulate their parents showed how ignorant Michel Rosen and the other presenters are in general.

I really don't understand why he is so anti synthetic phonics. People used to read in the past far more when phonetics was the standard teaching method (ie. 100 years ago0 than they did during the look say years or even now.

If parents want their kids to read then they need to switch off the television and the computer.

frances5 Mon 02-Jul-07 13:07:47

The previous discussion on how evil samll babies are and how they malipulate their parents showed how ignorant Michel Rosen and the other presenters are in general.

I really don't understand why he is so anti synthetic phonics. People used to read in the past far more when phonetics was the standard teaching method (ie. 100 years ago0 than they did during the look say years or even now.

If parents want their kids to read then they need to switch off the television and the computer.

singersgirl Mon 02-Jul-07 13:14:22

Yeah, Rosen probably doesn't even remember that that was how he was taught to read. Generations of children were taught to read by phonics. How did Victorian school children learn? From primers that taught them the different spelling patterns. Phonics teaching simply tells children them how different letters, in different combinations, represent the different sounds of speech.

Honestly, nothing annoys me more people like this mooning on about how teaching children properly takes away all the pleasure of reading. No, in fact it gives them the pleasure of reading because THEY CAN DO IT!

Any children who learn well by the whole word approach still learn this way while being taught a phonics approach - they pick up whole words by sight quickly as well as learning rules to decode unfamiliar words.

frances5 Mon 02-Jul-07 13:39:45

Yep, my son can read. He is partially deaf and he is a fluent reader at 5 years old thanks to synthetic phonics.

He enjoys books because they are accessible to him. I feel that Rosen is very ignorant of what proper synthetic phonics class room is like. My son did not have his own reading book for the first term, but his teacher still read the class plenty of stories and sent a library book home to read to the child by the parents.

whiskersonkittens Mon 02-Jul-07 18:22:05

Being able to read opens up a whole new world to children, and the earlier the better. IME the best way to teach young children is phonics - both my dcs (6 & 4) have learnt that way and they are now both constantly surprising me. I took ds(4) to the zoo last week and he read everything in sight, including the notices not to feed the penguins and to keep off the grassy bank - made my life much easier that day and certainly is enriching his!

frances5 Mon 02-Jul-07 18:32:15

We found that early reading has helped my son fill the language gap that he suffered between himself and his peers.

My son was very late in learning to talk to because of being deaf. Reading has helped expand his vocabulary and knowledge of the world. Like whiskersonkittens my son will read almost anything with confidence.

I think that people have very low expectations of what young children are capable of with the right teaching. EArly reading is nothing to do with IQ, but just the right enviromnent and simple things help like not using letter names until the child knows their letter sounds.

I am sure that whiskersonkittens would agree with me that spending five to ten minutes a day doing reading /phonics is not hot housing. My son's social skills were very highly praised on his school report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now