Talk

Advanced search

Reluctant reader

(8 Posts)
andmypointis Tue 22-Jan-19 08:11:54

Year 5 reluctant reader (boy). Only likes factual books. Preparing for 11 plus (possibly)this year. Any ideas please to encourage? He has the usual titles etc but he starts them and never finishes them. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-19 09:21:16

pfffffttt... I have a similar problem. tbh, if yours will read factual books then I would just go for them in a big way. Horrible history-geography-science, for instance. My dad only got into reading b/c he wanted to read about his sporting heroes. But hey, it worked.

My DS (yr6) reads The Beano & David Walliams books. Not much else.

LetItGoToRuin Tue 22-Jan-19 10:02:03

Audio books in the car/at home?

Would he enjoy you reading to him before bed?

andmypointis Tue 22-Jan-19 13:21:51

Thanks. The factual books he reads are pretty much Guinness book of records and Ripleys, over and over and over! I think he'd die rather than have me read to him. Audio books, now that's a thought ... Is this a boy thing?

user789653241 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:47:34

How about watching you tube of his interest? There are so many.
My ds has huge vocabulary. Most of them came from playing games, and watching you tube. There were many times I asked him where did he learn this word/phrase, and his answer was you tube. Even better if you can watch it with subtitles.

HomeMadeMadness Tue 22-Jan-19 13:52:58

Varjak Paw and other books by the same author are great. The many lives of Maisy day, the book by Hawking and his daughter has factual/science bits interspersed with the story.

andmypointis Thu 24-Jan-19 17:13:46

Thanks. I think if I let him near You Tube I would have to watch with him the whole time ...lol!

TooDamnSarky Thu 24-Jan-19 17:19:46

For my DS2 comics were the gateway into reading.
Fortunately DH is a comic geek. We got him loads of the better superhero ones. Great plot lines but the pictures made them less effortful and more fun than standard books.
Now (yr 7) he reads loads.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in