This is a Premium feature
Primary Transfer - Advice(6 Posts)
I’m having a bit of a panic over a situation and cannot seem to figure out the rules.
Keeping it brief as possible. My son is currently in year 1 at a school in Stockport. We are moving in a couple of months to another local authority, Tameside.
The 2 schools close by the new house apparently have no spaces for him currently. The ones that have spaces are really not good.
When I complete the transfer form, I will More than likely get offered one of the ones I don’t want.
Does anybody know whether I could reject this and go on waiting lists for the preferred two, while he still attends his old school? Bearing in mind they are different authorities.
This would be my preferred option, as the old school is only about half an hour away and will be fine until we would hopefully get a place closer by.
Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can apply to another school at any time and do not need to give up your current place to do so.
If it’s an in-year application, can you just apply only for the schools you want?
Sorry, I don’t know the specifics for your area, but that’s how it worked when we moved back to London after living abroad and needed a year 1 place for DS. We just applied for the ones we wanted to get him on the waiting list for and weren’t offered any alternatives that weren’t on our application. Probably best to call your LEA for confirmation.
Thanks. Yes, that makes sense that we would just apply for ones we want and get on the list.
Yes you can do this. But it's worth looking into your genuine chances at getting a place at a school you want e.g. how much mobility is there? How many places in each year? Round here you could stay on a school waiting list for years. Also bear in mind that your DC can move down as well as up the list!! I know you don't like the schools with spaces but is the difference worth an hour in the car ( is that at rush hour?) for him every day?
Hi and thanks. Yes, most definitely worth the extra travel. Plus, it’s kind of the same way as work anyway.
I am prepared for the possibility of him not getting into the local school at all. It’s a chance I have to take I suppose.
Please login first.