Talk

Advanced search

Primary Schools in Canterbury?

(4 Posts)
Goldfinger1 Fri 18-Jan-19 12:16:01

Hi, I am about to move to South Canterbury and looking for a primary school for my 7 year old daughter. She enjoys a challenge and doesn't like being bored. What are peoples opinions about St Peters, Wincheap and the new Pilgrims Way? Does anybody know if it's worth me contacting Blean and Bridge and Patrixbourne? I realise they are much further away from the city.
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
JeSuisPoulet Sun 12-Jan-20 07:18:32

Catchment areas are silly in Canterbury. I also live in SC and we were even told by WIncheap we wouldn't get a place as it is where a lot of families have bought fairly cheaply since the landlords pushed home prices up everywhere else! We were 0.03 miles away. So we now drive to Bridge which is a lovely school with a great reputation. Beware parking in the village though; not only is it a nightmare with traffic but the villagers are possibly the most hostile group of pensioners I have ever come across. It isn't uncommon to be shouted at or have your car photographed for bad parking and put on social media... Saying that, you can always do breakfast and afternoon clubs and avoid the worst! It is a shame as the school itself has a lovely community and good results. Sadly at this end of town options for other primaries in town are very limited due to catchment. The other school we were told we could get into was Barham which was also nice, a little further and possibly slightly more religious? Friends love it though and I don't think the villagers are quite so conservative wink.

JeSuisPoulet Sun 12-Jan-20 07:22:16

BTW I would have happily gone for Wincheap - it isn't the same as it was 10 years ago when I first moved here and if you look at the results they get with a huge variety of families you can see how good the teaching is. I have a lot of friends who got in (naice ham types) and they love it. It has a art department and seems to have a good variety of after school clubs too.

St Peters is poss most academic; slightly pushy but you do need to be living on top of it to get in.

JeSuisPoulet Sun 12-Jan-20 07:29:20

*an art dept. Which I mention because Bridge doesn't do as much creative work with the kids - they had to convert the hall into a kitchen whereas Wincheap invested wisely and built their art block just before the financial crash (as the headmaster proudly told me!).
The other schools you will prob be able to get into are Pilgrims and Canterbury Primary. I keep hearing these aren't as bad as they were but I have no direct experience and I have to say I didn't look at them blush.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in