Talk

Advanced search

Summer babies deferring the start of their education

(8 Posts)
JH12 Fri 11-Jan-19 21:42:50

My son was born right at the end of August, so I'm concerned he's going to be left behind as some of the other children in his class will be almost a year older than him.
We live in Wales, so they can start school age 3, in the nursery class, which is before reception class. I was hoping to defer his education a year and start him in nursery class the following year, age 4, so effectively he will always be a year behind the year he should technically be in. However, i have been told I can't do this. He doesn't have to legally start school till he's 5, but I would have to still start him in the year he should be in (which I don't want to do).
Has anyone managed to do this, especially in Wales? As I don't know if the rules are different in England.
I don't know whether I should things further and fight it or if I am over thinking it and just start him when they say I should.
Any advice greatly appreciated

OP’s posts: |
admission Fri 11-Jan-19 21:58:08

Things are somewhat different in Wales from England. In England it is now far easier to request and take deferment for a year from starting school at age 4.
In Wales you need to be talking to the LAs about what they are and are not prepared to accept. Certainly they are willing to consider deferment if there is a good reason for the request. I however get the impression from your post that you just feel that your child is not ready for school. I suspect that LAs will not be over-sympathetic to this request but you need to do it officially and make the request in writing to push the LA into putting in writing their decision.

User12345677777 Fri 11-Jan-19 22:04:50

My son is 16 now but when he started school being an August baby I kept him part time for the first year so collected him everyday at 12 ish which I was entitled to do. Discussed with his teacher to ensure he wasn’t missing out on anything in the afternoon session which she assured me he wasn’t. It worked really well for us!

JH12 Fri 11-Jan-19 22:33:25

Admission - Thanks for the advice I think you are quite right. I just don't know if I am doing the right thing by pushing for it, or if he will be ok by starting when they say he should.

Username12345677777 - Do you mind me asking how your son did in the subsequent years? Did he manage to keep up with the older children? You didn't feel he was left behind?

BubblesBuddy Fri 11-Jan-19 23:02:57

Not all August babies are behind. Some actually get a place at top
Universities!

User12345677777 Sun 13-Jan-19 21:22:57

It didn’t affect him at all. He has always been in the higher sets in subjects. He definitely wasn’t left behind. He completed his GCSE’s last summer and did amazingly with 8’s and a 9 in maths. Currently in sixth form doing A-levels

JH12 Sun 13-Jan-19 21:59:07

User1234567777 - Thank you that has put my mind at rest. And well done to your son, you must be very proud x

AllMYSmellySocks Sun 13-Jan-19 22:19:43

Join the facebook group "flexible school admissions for summer borns".

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in