Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone any experience of a child being naughty/disrupive in reception but settling down in year 1?

(13 Posts)
DrNortherner Thu 28-Jun-07 20:57:47

And if so did you/school do anything in particular to help your child or did it just click?

Ds having a few problems, hoping it will blow over in Yr 1.

Any experience?

Thanks

Furball Thu 28-Jun-07 21:00:21

No experience but they may well be being disruptive as bored and maybe need a more challenging day which will happen in year 1.

Dinosaur Thu 28-Jun-07 21:00:52

DrNortherner, slightly different, but DS1 had a lot of problems in Nursery but did settle down amazingly well in Reception.

A teacher who stood no nonsense and a more formal setting with a clear routine really helped him.

Is your DS very young in his year? All my DSs are, and it's not necessarily helpful.

DrNortherner Thu 28-Jun-07 21:33:10

He was 5 in April, so not THE youngest, but then not the oldest either....

Dinosaur Thu 28-Jun-07 21:41:41

Do you know yet who his teacher will be next year? Sometimes a change of teacher can work wonders...

Rachmumoftwo Thu 28-Jun-07 21:43:15

Most settle down as they get older and more mature, in my experience. In reception they are still learning the ropes, and some of them are still babies really.

Creole Fri 29-Jun-07 09:29:34

My ds had problems in reception and beginning of yr1.

He attended social skills club in reception and in yr1, the teacher introduced a smiley face book, which he brought home each day so I can see what happened during the day.
I was very strict with him every time there was a sad face in the book (it always came with comments of what he'd done).

This approach really worked and it was the turning point in his behaviour, he ended up getting an end of term merit certificate.

I thing the key thing for us, was backing the school up and working with them.

He will get there and be firm and consistent!

Professorfilthymindedvixen Fri 29-Jun-07 09:39:04

oh Dr No, yes!

ds2 is angelic now...he is considered one of the good boys, and he had the distinction of being sent to headmaster twice in his first ever week of school.

lljkk Fri 29-Jun-07 13:52:35

Voice of experience mum (don't mean to sound smug, but I'm confident on this one):

Almost every mother of a boy will have at least one bad spell in reception, and later yrs, too. You're very lucky if it's just a few isolated incidents over the years, but it's typical to have an extended problem period during reception year.

There are curently 4 star charts in DD's reception-Yr1 class, for specific boys' behaviour problems. The poor mums tear their hair out, but don't realise how much company they're in. It's just so common it's normal. Nearly all of the little lads mostly settle down over time, just keep working at it. Praise them to high heaven whenever they have a good day without problems. They probably have mostly good days -- and certainly more entirely good days than you realise.

Celery Fri 29-Jun-07 14:08:39

DS was very disruptive in preschool and reception, and has settled right down in Year 1. He was just plain bored before, I think. The difference between Reception and Year 1 is quite big, so if your DS' problems are due to boredom or lack of structure, then Year 1 might well see a big improvement.

ElenyaTuesday Fri 29-Jun-07 14:11:59

Oh yes, ds2 was a nightmare in reception - wouldn't sit, wouldn't do what he was told, hit other children, ripped up his work books if he didn't want to do the work...etc, etc. I think he had a personality transplant as in Y1 he was perfect.

singersgirl Fri 29-Jun-07 15:00:18

Mmm. Not sure. Y1 is actually more boring for lots of children - lots of sitting at desks writing. Whereas in Reception the work is easy, but there is lots of play, in Y1 the work is still easy for many children, but there is loads of it to do. DS2 has found it Slow Torture by Worksheets.

That said, he is not particularly disruptive, and we have had 2 Major Incidents with him this year, and had 2 Major Incidents with him last year.

Sixer Fri 29-Jun-07 15:09:04

DS is still in Recept and (touch wood), has only just settled in this last term. before he was always up to or doing something that would end in trouble. The teachers noticed (even though i kept saying), he needed loads of exercise, physical activity. They had a 'boy friendly' teacher assist, over see him and a few other boys. She would get really involved with the physical side at playtimes etc. The boys now all work well, and can sit for a period of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now