5 year old still not settled at school

(3 Posts)
Coco224 Wed 19-Dec-18 12:21:51

My son started school in August and has really struggle to settle. The first few weeks I expected that, but now we’re halfway through the school year and he’s not happy. Every morning he tells me he doesn’t want to go and is scared. We’ve spoken with the teachers and can’t work out what is scaring him (he won’t say, he just says that he’s scared generally) the teacher doesn’t suspect bullying. His behaviour at home has become worse. His school behaviour is ok, the main thing is toilet humour name calling like poopy pants and smelly. I am really struggling too as I just feel sad that he is unhappy. Every morning we arrive at school his whole demeanour changes, normally he is fairly loud and we arrive at school he clings on to me and doesn’t speak, he cries as I take him in to the class room. I’m just not sure what to do, my daughter starts at the same school in August and I’m dreading that it will be the same for her 😢
We live a 5 minute walk from the school, there is another nearby school, but it’s about a 20 minute walk uphill. Am I being irrational in thinking about changing schools?

OP’s posts: |
Sunshine818 Wed 19-Dec-18 19:36:37

Not irrational at all. Our son, although a few school years older than your son started a new school due to relocation and could never settle at his new school. We went through much the same as you describe and it's really hard isn't it?

After almost a year we decided to change schools with his agreement. On day 1 of new school he was like a different child, he goes in to school happy and smiling, he's enjoying school and making new friends and his behaviour is fantastic now too... it was definately the right option for him. Just wanted to share that.

Hope your son is happy again very soon smile

Leyani Thu 20-Dec-18 16:22:11

If the school has an idea and a plan I’d give it a go, but since it doesn’t, I’d see if he can change schools. It doesn’t sound like something that’ll just go away otherwise.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in