Talk

Advanced search

Help me understand all things tuitions please!

(8 Posts)
PurplePimpernel Sun 11-Nov-18 19:29:57

Hi mumsnetters!!

As I'm visiting the local state schools, all teachers tell me that their schools are not "prep" and, for that reason, if a parent is thinking to send their child to an independent school later on (already?!?! confused), they have to think about giving tuition...

So, here I am, completely ignorant of (among many things blush) about the world of tuitions...
At which age should one start? And how many hours per week?
Honestly, I don't even know the costs?!

Any hint is highly appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
GoldenPomBearBadge Sun 11-Nov-18 19:32:11

Wow!

Where are you?

PurplePimpernel Sun 11-Nov-18 19:44:09

Putney. Is it not the same everywhere? Now I'm curious!

wwwwwwwwwwwwww Sun 11-Nov-18 19:59:26

There just saying they won't prep for entrance exams for independent Senior Schools.

It will depend on your child's ability and how selective the Senior School how much tuition is needed.

PurplePimpernel Sun 11-Nov-18 21:45:57

I see... so it's a complete unknown at this stage... who knows what she's going to do? I guess it's just too early to worry then...
Thank you for the help wwwwwwwwww!

Redskyandrainbows67 Sun 11-Nov-18 21:53:24

Oh I’d like to know this too please

GoodHeavensNoImAChicken Sun 11-Nov-18 22:01:26

I guess it depends whether you are thinking about sending your child privately later on. I know of plenty of state educated children getting into private schools later on, some with tuition, some without so I guess it very much depends on the ability of the child and the quality of the teaching at the primary school! I wouldnt start until about y5 personally though (for 11+ entry, not sure about 7+ entry, sorry). But each to their own, it depends on your situation!

giftsonthebrain Mon 12-Nov-18 13:34:21

No tutoring is necessary to progress through the state system. If you/your child are interested in attending a state grammar school, tutoring may be necessary. Same for any independent schools that have a pre test to determine admission.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in