Talk

Advanced search

Teacher thinks DS' quirks are funny, whereas he needs (imo) to be disciplined

(8 Posts)
feelingdowntoday Sun 28-Oct-18 09:05:46

Sorry, this may be long. My DS isn't really a tricky child- he rarely tantrummed, he spoke very early, he can communicate well and he's generally well behaved. However, he's always struggled socially.

For example, last year we had a pantomime in the village hall. At the usual 'he's behind you' part DS was screaming until he was red in the face, jumping up and down on the spot etc. (I took him out until he had calmed down).

Computer games have a similar effect on him so he has 15 minutes per day after school only.

If he watches a film or tv programme and picks up on a line being funny, he'll repeat this at any opportunity for the next week. He also is quite quick at adopting physical comedy parts (e.g. the way of opening a door or mimicking others standing) and accents.

His teacher last year in Reception was really good with him. She was never negative or over-the-top but she could let him know that these type of things weren't appropriate.

I had parents' night last week and his teacher this year thinks he's really funny. He's been much more giddy coming out of school and I've definitely noticed a change in him at home. I really want to nip these things in the bud before he gets the reputation as class clown.

Can I ask for a meeting again? Is this just part having different teachers every year?

OP’s posts: |
user789653241 Sun 28-Oct-18 10:01:23

What's wrong with teacher thinking he is funny? I am sure the teacher would address the issue if he is disrupting class and doing it ott.

Creepyexgirlfriend Sun 28-Oct-18 10:05:20

It's not that he's doing it at school, it's that he then continues to do it at home when the OP doesn't want him to (and fair enough, it sounds quite relentless). Is the teacher on the new side to teaching? I don't think there would be anything wrong in asking the teacher to help you be consistent, she might be unsure of how to deal with it appropriately anyway.

Jakethekid Sun 28-Oct-18 10:05:56

He could additional needs and not necessarily being naughty that needs to be disciplined. Maybe the teacher recognised this already?

Or he may not have additional needs and is just a very excitable child. I don't think he should be punished or disciplined for these things you have mentioned and he's not actually being naughty. He just needs to learn how to control his emotion slightly if in fact he can.

feelingdowntoday Sun 28-Oct-18 10:23:17

Yes, disciplined is probably a little strong. He just needs to be prompted to calm down.

I don't want it to become a habit that he can't break or for it to disrupt his education.

OP’s posts: |
sirfredfredgeorge Sun 28-Oct-18 11:41:35

The teacher is in a lot better place to know what is disrupting in their classroom, since they are in it, and I think it's very, very unlikely that any teacher will say positive things to the parent about something that impacts their classroom negatively.

It appears to be a behaviour you don't like, but I'm not sure it's in any way age inappropriate - getting excited at pantomimes is the reason for the audience interaction?

user789653241 Sun 28-Oct-18 12:03:38

Need to calm down if it's happening at home needs to be dealt at home.
Children get excited about tings they encounter. And if it's over the top, and needs to be changed, teacher would say something or at least try to tackle the situation.
Teacher saying your dc is funny is very positive. She at least love and understand the mentality of small children and find it fun. Way better than teachers who think the slight bad behaviour of a children is something needs to be fixed.

MM5 Mon 29-Oct-18 06:35:12

If the teacher does not see it as an issue, I wouldn’t be demanding that she be stricter with your child. However, I would consider if your child has sensory issues and maybe even mild ASD? The repeativeness and social awkwardness make me feel this is what you are dealing with. With this kind of ASD, it is good to be clear what the social niceties and social rules are. Maybe, that is the discussion you need to have and maybe discuss with the school’s SENCO.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in