Brexit and Private School demand

(7 Posts)
nw8parent Sun 23-Sep-18 21:06:46

Are there many parents out there who are planning to leave London due to Brexit? I was reading an article the other day that private schools are expecting significant departures in 2019 as people leave London. I find that hard to believe but would love to hear what others think.

OP’s posts: |
AnotherNewt Sun 23-Sep-18 21:29:59

Last time the economy softened (credit crunch) the demand dpfir private day school places in London rose, as those who might otherwise have boarded chose the cheaper (but still friffing expensive) London day school option.

I don't think this one will be straightforward to predict.

Blankscreen Sun 23-Sep-18 21:30:19

At my son's old prep school numbers are really down for reception. 16 across the year as opposed to 36 which was full capacity when my Ds started.

8 Childten out of 36, left year 3 to get state too. Many apparently quoted fear of Brexit as a reason.

hhks Sun 23-Sep-18 23:03:40

There might be effects on average private schools. but demand for top schools is always there

MonumentVal Sun 23-Sep-18 23:09:31

State school demand in London is also dropping a bit. Which is a slight relief to me as might make it easier to get into a good secondary, though if they drop the numbers they admit, maybe not.

Frogusha Mon 24-Sep-18 11:02:33

We had 3 girls leave due to Brexit in our class this year - 1 to state, 1 to a French school (so parents can prepare to move to France if things get bad) and one to Switzerland. The replacements were found immediately though, the school has a waiting list.

expat96 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:24:23

Last time the economy softened (credit crunch) the demand dpfir private day school places in London rose, as those who might otherwise have boarded chose the cheaper (but still friffing expensive) London day school option.

Is this relevant for primary? My impression was that the 4+ was "easier" in 2009 and 2010 in central London.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in