Talk

Advanced search

School open days - do you bring kids

(16 Posts)
happychange Mon 27-Aug-18 08:02:56

Do you usually bring your child along with you for school open days? We could potentially ask our mil to look after DS but it's a bit complicated so easier if we just go with DS. He will be 20 months but thought it would be better if we go now as we are looking at buying in the area closest to the school we like

OP’s posts: |
spanieleyes Mon 27-Aug-18 08:23:20

certainly, at my school, I would expect to see children, we often get siblings, babies, grandparents too!

Ceara Mon 27-Aug-18 11:36:31

Lots of people do but I think it depends on your child. Yours is a long way off school so probably no issues. We went to open days during DS's last preschool year, and chose not to take him. He was already anxious about the transition so we preferred to wait until he had a confirmed place (ie the April before he started) and we could introduce the school as "your" school, with certainty and within a timeframe that would be meaningful to him. The worst thing would have been for him to set his heart on a particular school at the open day which he didn't then get into, or to take against the catchment school if he ended up there!

happychange Mon 27-Aug-18 12:44:10

Ah ok yes my boy wouldn't have a clue about what we are doing! Just didn't want to turn up and be the only ones with a child there grin thank you both x

NerrSnerr Mon 27-Aug-18 12:48:13

My daughter has just turned 3 last year for the open days and she got bored and just wanted to play. It meant I couldn't concentrate on what was being said. She didn't really understand what we were doing anyway.

Ragnar Mon 27-Aug-18 15:59:16

I think it's a definite yes; part of getting them to understand the transition, seeing which they are inspired by and/or comfortable in etc

Leyani Mon 27-Aug-18 22:51:31

No prob taking kids but I found I could get a better feel for the school without having to worry about keeping an eye on a little explorer

Pud2 Tue 28-Aug-18 16:30:48

No, I wouldn’t. There’s a lot to listen to and take in and that’s hard to do if you’re trying to keep your child quiet and still!

happychange Tue 28-Aug-18 16:55:30

Hmm quite mixed here in terms of yay or nay
It's just we would struggle with childcare so would probably have to bring DS along
We could maybe get mil but it's a bit of a mission for her to get to us

Hersetta427 Wed 29-Aug-18 16:19:15

I wouldn't and didn't. They don't get a say and may throw a complete wobbly if you pick a school over the one they liked (because it had a fantastic toy) You can then present it as this is where they are going when they get their place and go to taster sessions.

Paddington68 Mon 03-Sep-18 15:44:54

Primary no, secondary yes.
I really wouldn't for primary. I think you miss a lot of the information if you are thinking about your own child and other's reactions to them. Do take your child to the Christmas Fayre though.

BubblesBuddy Mon 03-Sep-18 15:53:42

Well at 20 months he won’t have an opinion! However, you say “we”. Don’t go around together. One does a bit of toddler management whilst the other looks at what is important. Swap over mid way or you each take half of your wish list. You don’t have to go around joined at the hip. Also take him out if he’s crying. It’s very annoying if people cannot hear what’s being said or engage with a teacher because of a noisy distraction. That’s just good manners though, which I’m sure you have!

Grasslands Mon 03-Sep-18 16:02:21

I went on a few. No strollers so be prepared to carry the toddler, lots of colourful bright displays for adults to admire, some toys in the reception class. Initially you do a walk through a few classrooms, many parents speak to the staff. Then a presentation in an auditorium/gym open area. It’s noisy and if you want to concentrate even without a child it can be difficult.

BubblesBuddy Tue 04-Sep-18 07:24:05

I have never been to an open day that’s been noisy. It’s just been chatting levels when parents know each other or are chatting to staff. Everyone listened to the Head.

meditrina Tue 04-Sep-18 07:29:05

I wouidn't take them to primary schools unless utterly stuck for childcare.

Because they won't understand (unless you are only appluting for non-selective private schools) that you can't just choose. Also, you want to make your preference list based on information about the school, (including likelihood of being offered a place) its ethos and how well it fits your family. Not the one that had the nice new climbing frame in the playground.

Secondary, those things don't apply so much, and the counfounder is likely to be where their friends want to go, rather than anything seen at an open day

SoyDora Tue 04-Sep-18 07:37:21

There were plenty of children at the ones we went to, both state and private. DD completely understood that we were just looking round to see what they were like and that we couldn’t necessarily guarantee that she’d be going to any particular one. None were noisy or rowdy (I do remember one child who was a bit of a pain but there were 2 parents there so 1 took him for a walk round). I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in