How to recover child's interest in school?

(11 Posts)
Janelikey Fri 24-Aug-18 11:19:35

When I was in Guangzhou, China, I found that Chinese parents attached great importance in sending kids to International schools. I’m worried that my boy could not get along well with other children when in school cuz he shows no interest in classes and always stays alone. What should I do? Please help!

OP’s posts: |
Grace233 Sat 25-Aug-18 15:23:16

In my opinion, on the one hand, international schools provide pupils a chance to contact with foreign cultures, while on the other hand stop our children from getting closer to peer groups because of different colors, different languages, etc. So, change the school your boy's in is not what I'd like to suggest you to do. You need to create more opportunities for your boy to talk with other kids, to make friends with them and play together if possible. Child will never overcome the sense of strangeness if he always stays alone.

Janelikey Mon 27-Aug-18 08:56:26

Hello, thanks for your opinion; it gives me some hints also. However, I still find it hard to instruct my boy to be optimistic and make friends with others actively. Do you have any method in overcoming such a problem?

Rachel233 Thu 30-Aug-18 05:16:57

I suggest you to sign your child up for some online programmes to learn in a different but more interesting way. Some institutions like GrowAlong Education offers channels for children to chat with penpal friends and do some handicraft. You can find more like these and children enjoy and learn well.

Danyi Thu 30-Aug-18 05:34:50

My boy, a british born chinese, sometimes finds himself hard to fit into chinese culture. Regarding this GrowAlong, I am not what is it but I know it saw its partnership with UCL institution of education when my child was

Danyi Thu 30-Aug-18 05:34:50

My boy, a british born chinese, sometimes finds himself hard to fit into chinese culture. Regarding this GrowAlong, I am not what is it but I know it saw its partnership with UCL institution of education when my child was

Grace233 Sun 02-Sep-18 07:08:15

I think one way to let your child talk more is to dig out his interests and mix what he interested in with communicative activities. For example, offer him a chance to share his stories, handmade objects or others with kids in the same age, let him acquire a sense of achievement so that he can be willing to talk more.
Hope it might help you.

Advertisement

Danyi Sun 02-Sep-18 10:08:17

My boy, a british born chinese, sometimes finds himself hard to fit into chinese culture. Regarding this GrowAlong, I am not what is it but I know it saw its partnership with UCL institution of education when my child was performing there

Janelikey Sun 02-Sep-18 11:14:28

Thx for opinions! But does it cost plenty of time to participate in an online programme?

Rachel233 Tue 04-Sep-18 10:52:44

It depends. It cost us around 90 minutes per week to compete those activities and 25 minutes plus for video calls on weekends when we signed up in GrowAlong Education. There are institutions with longer time span.

Grace233 Wed 05-Sep-18 12:22:19

Some online programmes are interesting, because they offer chances for children to draw pictures, make small videos or to learn a song together with their partners. So sometimes it may cost you about 30 minutes to play with your children; sometimes shorter. That's what I learned from my cousin. Her little girl joined an online mandarin learning programme a month ago.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in