First day at school - tips

(14 Posts)
Jojomay Thu 16-Aug-18 17:37:18

Any tips for my 4 year old first day at school. He is currently at preschool full time so not unused to being away - still conscious big change though. In addition we are. Moving house at the same time

Any tips for his first day at school or anything I should be doing now?

OP’s posts: |
TheCatFromOuterSpace Thu 16-Aug-18 17:41:11

Shoes that he can put on and take off himself.
Write his name on EVERYTHING.

spaghettipeppers Thu 16-Aug-18 18:10:56

Try not to linger, especially if you feel yourself getting wobbly. Be very firm and cheerful in front of him, and a quick goodbye.

Make sure he can open all of his snacks standing up- many a little one has sent grapes flying in the playground!

spaghettipeppers Thu 16-Aug-18 18:13:55

Also show him where his name is on his jumper/ jacket or teach him to smell it (yes, really, ‘does it smell like yours?’ is a question I use far too often).

CramptonHodnet Thu 16-Aug-18 18:37:46

Particularly with DS, he would sometimes forget to go to the toilet and then have an accident. So a spare pair of trousers and underpants in the PE bag might be useful. And label everything including underwear and socks. Expect stuff to go missing and never be found so be prepared to have to replace stuff.

HannahnotAgnes Thu 16-Aug-18 18:48:46

Agree with the pp - clearly label everything & show him where it says his name (even if he can't read it just yet); get him to practise changing into & out of his PE kit & ensure that it's all easy for him (ie easy to get trousers on / off / up / down to go to toilet eg elasticated waist, no difficult buttons or belts etc).

Be cheerful & happy & try not to say things like you'll miss him - if he's a worrier then he'll worry about you & im sure that's not what you want. Try to hold back any tears until he can't see you!

It's such a brill time in their little lives - hope he enjoys it!

RedSkyLastNight Thu 16-Aug-18 18:49:35

Make sure he can recognise his own name. And first letter of surname if it's a common first name.

For you the best tip I have is to go with the flow. Don't worry that things are incomprehensible at first, they will become clear. And if they dont, do befriend a parent with an older child at the school to find out all the things that no one thinks to tell you because they are obvious when you've done it before!

Advertisement

5000KallaxHoles Thu 16-Aug-18 19:22:28

Name everything - even things you think wouldn't be removed (the number of times pants have come off accidentally getting changed for PE is surprising), name recognition, clothing fastenings, arse wiping - that's about it to work on really.

I'm spending a bit of time sat in front of the telly opening and closing buttons on some of DD2's clothing so it's easier going back to school - but she has coordination problems and poor hand strength so struggles more than the average child (also spending fucking hours removing bloody clothes pegs from everywhere because we've been doing the OT exercises to work ON the poor hand strength).

GandTthankyou Thu 16-Aug-18 20:49:00

Teach him to say ‘please may I go to the toilet?’
If he doesn’t know many of the cohort (my dd knew no one)
‘My name is.... do you want to play?’

If you haven’t already - see if there’s a WhatsApp parent group - there’s always a hyper organised parent who remind everyone of everything which is great wink

PoppyPlum Fri 17-Aug-18 08:56:14

Mine is starting too.

One thing I'm planning to do (but haven't done yet) is having him spend some time wearing his uniform. He's going from one extreme (own choice joggers and t shirt at nursery) to another (School with very formal uniform even in reception) so I think we are both dreading it...

MrsBartlettforthewin Fri 17-Aug-18 09:03:27

If you're worried about him being a bit wobbly about it all just start dropping in to conversations about how things will work at school. I.e. my DS will be going to breakfast club with his sister and seemed to think he'd be spending all day with her so just gentle reminders that after breakfast club he'll be going to his new class and his sister will be going to hers etc. Whilst we have breakfast at home as a wider conversation seems to have helped.

IceCreamFace Fri 17-Aug-18 10:43:43

Definitely be prepared for him to be exhausted. As keen as you'll be to make connections definitely don't plan for anything unnecessary until he's had a few weeks to settle in and see how exhausted he is.

A good trick I learned from a teacher friend is to role play school with him - if he's nervous. He drops you off at school and you play the nervous child and he has to try and reassure you.

I'll also reiterate what others have said about self care. If he can get his shoes on and off that's a great start. Make sure he knows to ask when he needs the loo (although they'll be prompted through out the day!). In general making sure he knows to speak up about anything that's wrong (e.g. he's thirsty, can't do his trousers up etc.)

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 17-Aug-18 13:06:47

Practice putting uniform on the day before and take photos then. Photos can be stressful on the first morning.
If he has a school issue book bag a key rinse or similar on the handle can help you to spot it from the 30 identical ones.
The 1/4 in name tapes are also great for making names really obvious.
Plan a favourite tea for first day back. (My mum always did this for us right the way through to sixth form!)

IceCreamFace Fri 17-Aug-18 15:23:04

Plan a favourite tea for first day back. (My mum always did this for us right the way through to sixth form!)

That's adorable! I'm copying that one for sure.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in