Talk

Advanced search

130 Private Schools Investigated For Abuse

(13 Posts)
Celine2015 Fri 10-Aug-18 15:48:00

More terrible news again about schools in the media where there have been abuse cover ups. There is a headline regarding 130 private schools including 20 prep schools. Does anyone have a link to this list or a list of the 20 prep schools? Does this concern other parents with their choice of school?

Cauliflowersqueeze Fri 10-Aug-18 15:50:13

The checks are so careful these days that it shouldn’t concern anyone.

AjasLipstick Fri 10-Aug-18 15:50:55

Well The Times have a map of them apparently but you have to pay to subscribe to read the full thing.

Cliona1972 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:48:14

I'd imagine this is a historic list of cases, not the present day?

AjasLipstick Sat 11-Aug-18 01:12:38

The Times said some are from the 90s.

Mossandclover Sat 11-Aug-18 18:03:40

Given how these things are coming to light, I think ALL schools could do with this. Especially boarding schools.

VanillaSugar Sun 12-Aug-18 07:32:37

You can put in an email address into The Times website to gain access to two free articles per week .

Link please!!!

UKParent1 Mon 17-Sep-18 03:06:12

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/130-private-schools-in-child-abuse-scandal-pm6sz3d6lcc

Can't see the tab they say to click on to see the map.

BubblesBuddy Mon 17-Sep-18 09:47:46

We had an abuse case at our local state boys grammar. It was back in the 1980s. Many of these cases are historic and everyone is so much more aware now. The perpetrator was just moved to another school with a good reference! That has also been a scandal. Never, ever, assume state schools don’t feature in these cases. It can be any school, anywhere!

PermanentlyFrizzyHairBall Mon 17-Sep-18 20:07:26

I remember reading about an investigation into sexual abuse at a boarding prep school apparently the parents were very much against any investigation which might shine a bad light on the school (and hence their sons' chances of getting into the next school). Depressing. I hope attitudes have changed.

trinity0097 Mon 17-Sep-18 20:15:36

Lots went on in the 90s that was undesirable. I remember my house mistress when I was in Yr 11 providing alcohol with a special meal. The whole house, including her got drunk, other than my friend and me, and we had to deal with her slumped fast asleep and our friends outing everywhere!

Schools have come an awfully long way since then. I am a DSL in a school and can honestly say that children as as protected as they can be now. And all my cases related to problems at home rather than anything happening at school, but these problems are picked up on by my staff, they don’t go unnoticed.

AsAProfessionalFekko Mon 17-Sep-18 20:18:43

Was there ever a list published or outcomes of any investigation (the article is from 2014). I'm sure it's not just a private school thing.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Sep-18 07:49:14

A local state secondary was featured in a case last year 6 boys over a period of 10 years in the noughties. Definitely not just private schools.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: