Talk

Advanced search

Sats KS2

(8 Posts)
Fionag35 Thu 09-Aug-18 20:19:17

Hi,

I’m looking at buying the CGP Sats KS2 revisions books, questions and answer books. Anyone selling them online?
Also any papers that I can download or do online? Thank you 😀

ShowOfHands Thu 09-Aug-18 20:20:25

There's a website where you can download them called theschoolrun.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 09-Aug-18 20:35:36

I'd be wary of doing papers at home, as the school will do practice papers at school and it won't help anyone if your DC has already done them.

Our school also provided the workbooks and set them as homework.

I guess what I am saying is that it is good to support, but try not to make it too 'SATs specific' too early as your DC will get bored / fed up / stressed.

I did core maths skills with DD and looked at papers she did at school to identify weak areas, but tried to focus on 'being secondary ready' not 'doing well at SATs' ifswim.

Feenie Thu 09-Aug-18 22:41:23

Just buy them straight from the CGP website - much cheaper. They're not too bad. Agree with suggestion of not using actual past papers, v bad idea - with the new curriculum, Y6 teachers have hardly any to use (3 sets now).

Feenie Thu 09-Aug-18 22:42:19

www.cgpbooks.co.uk/bookspaceInfo

typoqueen Sat 11-Aug-18 17:49:39

My dd has just finished year 6 and believe me when i say by the time SATS arrive they were sick to death of mock SATS papers they did them every day in school and were also given them as homework, i dont think there will be any need for even more (my opinion only and obviously i dont know if this happens in every school)...

KingscoteStaff Sat 11-Aug-18 18:27:26

Agree with TeenTimesTwo - please, please don't download the 2016, 2017, 2018 papers - those are the ones that your school will be using to assess how your DC are doing.

Unless you know that your child has a massive timing problem as apart from an understanding problem, you are much better off working through the CGP topic books rather than the practice papers.

Two years ago there was a boy in my class who I was really worried about, but then he aced a mock SAT in January, so I thought he was one of those children who rose to the occasion under exam conditions. I was about to take him out of my Grammar and Calculation booster groups, when I thought I'd have a quick word with mum - he'd done those papers at home THREE TIMES ALREADY...

Feenie Sun 12-Aug-18 00:34:36

Had exactly the same experience - a girl scored 45 out of 50 on one paper but was nowhere on the other two. She says she didn't remember doing it with her tutor (and I believe her, lovely girl) but her score was hugely different on any other paper. We didn't stop her interventions but we could have it we hadn't realised.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: