Talk

Advanced search

6 INSET days

(12 Posts)
mangocoveredlamb Mon 02-Jul-18 15:34:34

Maybe I’m missing a trick, but my understanding is that state schools are open 38 weeks a year, 38 for staff so 5 INSET days. I work in education at the local authority, so this is what we do.

My DD’s school have just published the term dates for next year with 5 in school INSETS, and an additional academy chain wide INSET.
Surely if they want to do that they should only have 4 in school insets to compensate?
(I may be being over sensitive to this, but DD only had 3/5 days in nursery last week due to this 6th inset day plus closure for new kids trail day, we were told that they were having the extra day this year as they joined the academy half way through the year and dates were set!)

OP’s posts: |
Lonecatwithkitten Mon 02-Jul-18 16:24:41

Are you sure it is not an extra day taken from the teachers holiday. Children should be in school and in general teachers work 195 days per year, you may find in the academy it is 196 working days for teachers.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 02-Jul-18 16:25:02

Sorry children should be in school 190 days per year.

mangocoveredlamb Mon 02-Jul-18 16:28:06

I’m going to double check, but based on my term dates they’ve definitely got an extra one. I’m going to phone the school to querie but wanted to make sure I’m not going mad!

anotherangel2 Mon 02-Jul-18 16:31:43

Schools can have more days. LEA normally grant them in specific situations eg moving to a new school building.

mangocoveredlamb Mon 02-Jul-18 16:38:09

That’s why we’ve had 6 this year!

mangocoveredlamb Mon 02-Jul-18 16:40:29

Mystery solved, they’re going back a day before the LEA term dates in September!
Glad I didn’t phone and make a fool of myself 😂

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 02-Jul-18 17:36:08

So the teachers are doing an extra day? Or does the school manage teaching staff days differently with an extra day off for them somewhere?

ReadingRiot Mon 02-Jul-18 17:39:43

I was told today that schools can have an additional day every two years for H&s training. I've never heard that before but it came from a very sensible source and was very clear. Anyone heard of this?

mangocoveredlamb Mon 02-Jul-18 17:41:31

I assume the teachers are doing an extra day. I assume this is an academy thing as suggested upthread.

greenbean007 Thu 05-Jul-18 23:36:06

Academies can set what inset and term dates they want. Schools requiring improvement can have more than the standard 5 too.

bookmum08 Fri 06-Jul-18 10:29:45

Yes Academies can just do what they want and make up the rules as they go along.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in