Talk

Advanced search

Wallacewell Primary School, Glasgow

(7 Posts)
Chocolateyescakeyes Sat 30-Jun-18 19:07:28

I’m thinking of moving to a house with Wallacewell Primary as the local school and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience of it? Also, what would be the Secondary school that Wallacewell is the feeder to? I don’t know the area very well and have no idea if it would be considered a ‘good’ school? Any advice/opinion would be much appreciated. x

OP’s posts: |
PolkerrisBeach Sat 30-Jun-18 19:15:58

you can download the school handbook here: www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17361

It feeds into Smithycroft Secondary which I've never heard of!! Looking at the map it's about the same distance to Bishopbriggs Academy which I have heard of and is a good school, but would mean a placing request.

You can also look at inspection reports on the HMIE website.

NorthEastoftheCity Sat 30-Jun-18 19:30:42

I didn't know that was a Glasgow school, I thought that would be East Dunbartonshire.

I don't know anything about Wallacewell but no child of mine would be going near Smithycroft- a very high % of children from deprived backgrounds and only 28% got 3 or more Highers.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15139936.Exam_tables_revealed__Find_out_how_your_kid_s_secondary_school_performed/

If I were you I would look to find a house inside East Dunbartonshire for secondaries. I wouldn't rely on placing requests as they've been rejected recently.

You might also want to look at Stepps, which falls into North Lanarkshire.

PolkerrisBeach Sat 30-Jun-18 19:35:20

Yes I'm in East Dunbartonshire and for the last two years no non-catchment children have been accepted into the secondary locally.

Agree that the results for Smithycroft are dire. It's a very deprived area, lots of social problems, children with English as a second language. Moving a few streets up the road into East Dunbartonshire would solve a lot of problems.

As would looking at another area of Glasgow.

Chocolateyescakeyes Sat 30-Jun-18 20:43:31

Thanks so much for your replies. I didn’t realise it was Glasgow either. But you have confirmed my suspicions. How about Thomas Muir Primary? Anyone know anything about it? I assume that would feed into Bishopbriggs Academy.

Thanks again, your info is invaluable x

PolkerrisBeach Sat 30-Jun-18 20:53:09

yes Thomas Muir is practically next door to Bishopbriggs Academy.

Remember though if you buy/rent in the catchment for Wallacewell, and get a placement request into Thomas Muir, that does NOT guarantee you entry to Bishopbriggs Academy, you'd have to apply again and the decision is dependent on the number of places.

You'd have to rent / buy in the Thomas Muir catchment initially to make sure. If you google the name of a secondary and "cluster primaries" or "feeder primaries" it will tell you which schools feed in where.

Chocolateyescakeyes Sat 30-Jun-18 21:12:25

Yeah, we would buy in the catchment for whichever primary school we considered the best for our little one. We are in within Glasgow City council just now and wanting to move to East Dunbartonshire for the good schools. Are there any Bishopbriggs primaries that you recommend? Thanks again.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in