St Andrew's CE Primary School

(11 Posts)
StockwellMummy Tue 19-Jun-18 18:00:54

Hello!

I'm new to Mumsnet, and to the Stockwell area. I was looking for primary schools for September 2019 and stumbled upon St Andrew's.

Does anyone have children who go there, or know parents that do?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

And one more thing - my husband is a little concerned about it being a Christian school as we're not very religious, and he was actually raised Muslim. What are your thoughts on this? Are they open to children of other faiths?

Also, I'd love to know some family-friendly hangouts in the area. Would be great to meet local mums!

Thank you in advance for your help!

OP’s posts: |
Quickerthanavicar Tue 19-Jun-18 18:07:06

It's a single form entry school. 30 places per year and 25 of those are foundation places. ie places for regular church goers.

There over subscribed criteria is below

• Looked after children.
• Children of families who are faithful and regular worshippers at St. Andrew’s Church,
Lingham Street or St. Michael’s Church (Stockwell Parish).
• The presence of a sibling in the school at the time of admission ( a sibling is defined as a
blood relative, a step-sibling, a half-sibling or a formally fostered or adopted child who is
living at the same address as the child making the application).
• Children whose pressing social or medical needs or those of their parents or guardians
place them in need of the environment which St. Andrew’s Primary School alone provides. Relevant written evidence from appropriate sources should be submitted (such as a doctor or social services report).
• The nearness of the home to the school, measured along the shortest safe walking route to the school’s main gate (proof of address, dated not more than 3 months prior to lodging the application, must be submitted with the form).

I would therefore very much doubt you would get in.

StockwellMummy Wed 20-Jun-18 10:27:31

I see your point. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the encouragement!

On the website they said they're open to families of all faiths in this video I saw. I was just hoping someone who's got ties with the school could share their experience.

Paddington68 Wed 20-Jun-18 11:09:46

Have you read their admissions policy?

StockwellMummy Wed 20-Jun-18 11:49:49

I have, and I can definitely see why my chances aren't great. I just wanted to hear what parents whose children go there think before I contact the school. I'm happy to take no for an answer, but I'd rather hear this from a representative of the school.

CarveHerNameWithPride Wed 20-Jun-18 14:26:00

Just because the admissions criteria prioritises churchgoers on paper doesn’t mean it’s impossible to get into if you aren’t. In this case St. Andrews is not an “aspirational” school and hence St Michael’s church is not actually full of parents of 3 year olds every Sunday (St Andrew’s church is derelict). From last year’s figures every single child who wanted a place there got a place so if you live nearby then your odds of getting in are good.
www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/NOD-rec17-howoffersmade-v-a-schools2.pdf

I have a couple of friends with children there: they seem moderately happy but my DC are older so I haven’t discussed in detail.

StockwellMummy Wed 20-Jun-18 16:23:12

Thank you so much, CarveHerNameWithPride! That’s great to know, I will have a look

Advertisement

missl1 Wed 20-Jun-18 22:14:44

Can I ask why you want a CoE school if you're not very religious? Or is it just one of several you're considering? Just wondering as there are lots of other good schools in the Stockwell area.

StockwellMummy Thu 21-Jun-18 12:46:25

Hi, missl1!

I just happened to walk past it one day and liked the look of it, and it's close to where I live. Also, I heard CE schools are not as strict as other religious schools, but more disciplined than non-religious ones?

I am definitely considering other options, do you have any suggestions?

missl1 Thu 21-Jun-18 13:22:42

Hiya,

St. Andrews does look like a nice school. I know of one person who sends their kids there and they like it. Also, as someone else said, it's not been oversubscribed in recent years so you should be OK with a place if you live close.

I only have first-hand experience of Stockwell Primary. We're impressed with the teaching and our child is very happy there.

You may have to double check catchments but I think Allen Edwards, Lark Hall and Heathbrook may be options for you too. All are good schools and I've heard good things on the grapevine.

Clapham Manor seems to be the popular choice over your way, but maybe you're too far away from there as the catchment is quite small.

I'm not religious but wasn't anti the thought of our daughter going to a CoE school. I think it's good they are exposed to lots of ideas when they are little so they can make up their own minds later in life. But when we went to look round, we found the CoEs more local to us to be very heavy on the religion (quite a few hours of religious education a week, not like my old CoE) so this put us off a bit.

Best to go have a look and see what you think.

StockwellMummy Fri 22-Jun-18 22:47:57

Thank you so much, missl1!

That's super helpful. I really appreciate the help x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in