Could someone explain in small words...

(11 Posts)
Thegirlisnotright Sun 17-Jun-18 08:42:52

How you go about moving to UK and finding school places from outside UK? Would be looking for state primary entry into years reception, year 2 and year 5

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sun 17-Jun-18 08:48:22

I gather you mean England not UK as school systems differ in Scotland, Wales, etc? Depends where you are moving to tbh

Hassled Sun 17-Jun-18 08:49:27

Google the county council you're moving to + School Admissions.
In London/larger cities you'd need to google the Borough of X (eg Hounslow,) + school admissions, or City of Westminster + school admissions. If you can say where in the UK you're moving to (or at least where the job is) then people can point you in the right direction.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 17-Jun-18 09:21:20

1) identify general area you want to move to, (I personally would avoid grammar school areas, in some areas they start private tutoring before y5)
2) look online regarding schools in that general area and find a sub area that has a variety of good schools, including secondaries
3) move to uk and buy/rent in the sub area
4) ask local authority whether any of the schools have places
4a) if they do, go and look at them and apply very quickly
4b) if they don't then you need to get allocated a school anyway, then look at and apply for your preferred school(s)
5) accept that with 3 children the chances of them all getting into the same good school initially is very low
6) once they are all in school, consider appealing to try to get them all together, or at least wait list to the best of the options

Thegirlisnotright Sun 17-Jun-18 09:42:32

Apologies, I do mean England.
So basically, I pick schools, and if it is not oversubscribed and the school has places there’s a reasonable chance?

OP’s posts: |
Thegirlisnotright Sun 17-Jun-18 09:43:36

Just read the last response- not good that they might not all get into the same school 😬

OP’s posts: |
Thegirlisnotright Sun 17-Jun-18 09:43:59

I’m looking at Lancashire area

OP’s posts: |


TheVanguardSix Sun 17-Jun-18 09:51:12

Once you move to the area, you'll have your council tax statement as proof of address. This is your golden ticket.
You'll just have to arrive, settle into your new home and see the schools for themselves and place your kids on the waiting list for one or more schools for what they call 'in year' admissions.
If the school(s) aren't over-subscribed, they'll be placed quickly. And even if you're not happy with the first school they're offered, just take it and place them on the waiting list elsewhere.

They may not get into the same school, but just get them into school, THEN deal with that. Once they're both in their schools, you can then put the other child on the waiting list of the school you both want them at. It may not take as long as you think.

Good luck!

TheVanguardSix Sun 17-Jun-18 09:54:18

Yes, as was mentioned above, go to your chosen borough's website (Hounslow was mentioned above- that's actually my borough smile).

Here's your link, OP.

LIZS Sun 17-Jun-18 10:01:43

The younger dc are likely to be harder to place at same schools as class sizes for year 2 and below are restricted by law to 30, older year groups have slightly more flexibility within the constraints of space and resources. Some areas still have separate infant/junior schools involving a fresh application at year 3, in which case your dc may then be on different sites.

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 17-Jun-18 10:09:34

So basically, I pick schools, and if it is not oversubscribed and the school has places there’s a reasonable chance?

In that situation you would get them, it's not a chance, if there are spaces, they have to give them to you - the problem obviously is that there may not be spaces, but that very much depends on the region and the school.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in