Talk

Advanced search

preparing a child for 9+ (state school at the moment), routine with studies?

(6 Posts)
schooling123 Wed 30-May-18 20:26:13

Sorry, you are right, would this b better ( 3 hours):
- Grammar and writing 30 min
- Comprehension - 30 min
- guided reading - 30 min
- NVR and VR - 30 min
- Mental math + Maths = 1 hour

OP’s posts: |
AnotherNewt Wed 30-May-18 16:50:23

That sounds quite a lot to me, because you've listed 8x 30mins per week. But of course a lot depends on whether your DC gets homework already, and what clubs and activities they do. Because school is important, but so is time to be a child.

schooling123 Tue 29-May-18 16:44:33

Hi. Thank you for your reply on mumsnet. i think it is important I get routine right, as it is very stressful to have full time jobs, kids, family and then preparing a child for exams. Can i ask you opinion: does this sound ok: 30 min of each: Grammar, 30 min VR, NVR, Mental maths, Math working out, Comprehension, writing, guided reading?

schooling123 Tue 29-May-18 08:32:33

Yes, English, Maths, VR, NVR. Also English COmprehension/ writing/grammar - so would it be 3 sections for English?

AnotherNewt Mon 28-May-18 07:37:07

Normal routine, plus exam technique. So find a regular (ish) time to work through Bond books and similar. What subjects are covered in the 9+ you are aiming for? English, Maths, VR, NVR? No more than 30mins per subject per week.

If you are not sure if your DC's standard, see if you can find a tutor who will do an assessment p.

schooling123 Mon 28-May-18 07:33:24

I am interested in preparing a child for 9+ ( he is in a state school). what routine would you recommend for a week? Thank you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in