Phonics workshop(5 Posts)
Mylifesarainbow Sat 14-Apr-18 07:23:28
Doofenschmirtz Sat 14-Apr-18 14:33:09
Mylifesarainbow Sat 14-Apr-18 17:11:44
Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 14-Apr-18 20:42:53
Mylifesarainbow Sat 14-Apr-18 21:28:44
Hi all, I'll be running a phonics workshop in school next week for parents. I was just wondering what you, as parents, would like to know about how phonics is taught/ the year 1 phonics screening check.
My DD did the phonics check last year. The questions asked in our parent meeting were things like:
- Will my child be able to take a break if they are struggling in the test or are having difficulty concentrating?
- Which member(s) of staff will be carrying out the tests and where?
- Is there anything we can do at home to help?
- What happens if my child doesn't 'pass' the phonics check?
- When will I find out the results?
- What happens during the actual check?
- What happens if my child is ill that week?
The parents were shown a copy of a previous check so that they could see what it was like for themselves.
Excellent, I've included all those in the presentation so feel like I'll be covering what needs to be covered.
Thanks for your reply.
How is the school avoiding stressing out the kids about the ‘check’?
I've explained that the check is designed to be non stressful and it will be stopped and continued at a later date if a child seems distressed. I'll also explain that I am the one administering the check and the children know me well and come to me regularly for phonics practise so they are comfortable and familiar with both myself and the environment.
Please login first.