Primary admissions 2018

(315 Posts)
Allosaurusroar Mon 09-Apr-18 14:13:35

Is there an anxiously awaiting primary school places thread yet?
One week to go and it’s all I can think about. We are on Easter holidays from pre school and it’s going so so slow waiting.
Does anyone know what time we find out?

OP’s posts: |
gallicgirl Mon 09-Apr-18 14:46:20

I think some councils release the results online at midnight if you want to go into your account to check. E-mails will go out over the morning of the 16th. Some boroughs don't release information until later in the day which seems hugely unfair to me!
Check the admissions page of your local council and they will tell you when they release the information.

Elementtree Mon 09-Apr-18 14:52:44

I'd forgotten all about it till I read this blush. But now I'm anxious, so I am in.

The secondary school admissions came out at about 4am here this year (ds1). I wasn't waiting up just stuck in hospital.

It will be a logistical nightmare, right up there with the chickens and foxes and one raft, if ds3 doesn't get into his first place.

wendz86 Mon 09-Apr-18 15:05:42

I found out with my DD1 around 2pm in the afternoon. Was a long wait.

Vanillaradio Mon 09-Apr-18 19:25:58

I had an email from the council today to say it will be any time between 9am and 5.15pm (!) and by the way don't call them to chase ....

onemoremummy Mon 09-Apr-18 19:40:31

Is everyone expecting results on the 16th? My council’s website says the letters & online results will be on the 18th, however the eadmissions portal says 16th....

Allosaurusroar Mon 09-Apr-18 20:38:50

Our website says 18th too but I thought it must be wrong as national offer day is the 16th. I really hope we don’t have to wait an extra two days.

OP’s posts: |


fallinggreenleaves Mon 09-Apr-18 20:39:05

It's all I can think about! Non of the 3 I applied for are in my catchment area so I'm extra nervous 😬😬

meditrina Mon 09-Apr-18 20:45:21

The system which covers all,London boroughs and Surrey goes live on the website at 5pm on National Offers Day and it starts sending out the batches of emails at the same time. It can take several hours to send all the emails.

One message in letters of fire do not reject the offer they make, even if you hate it unless of course you have a private school place lined up or can genuinely home educate indefinitely. Instead, pause, and start a thread on MN asking for possible courses of action in your specific circumstances.

MollyDaydream Mon 09-Apr-18 22:44:31

I think we're a definite for our first choice so feeling OK about it!

Solasum Mon 09-Apr-18 22:46:39

@fallinggreenleaves hope that works out for you. Seems like a risky strategy?

Allosaurusroar Tue 10-Apr-18 06:15:03

We don’t really have a catchment school. I’ve put them three closest but based on last year we wouldn’t have got the first two choices and would have just scraped in the third choice. So I’m hoping for a low sibling year and a miracle blush

OP’s posts: |
meditrina Tue 10-Apr-18 07:02:13

Lots of places don't have catchments, most of London for example.

When there is no catchment (in it's proper sense of formal priority admissions area, with guarantee of place in Scotland and significant priority elsewhere - eg SEN, LAC/exLAC, siblings in catchment, other catchment, other siblings, other children) then it is all down to how close other pupils live (though of course if no catchment even siblings at a huge distance would get in before an eldest child who lived next to the school,gates£

InTheRoseGarden Tue 10-Apr-18 08:15:50

I've been waiting for someone to start this. smile

Waiting to hear about a place for PFB DS. Preferences are all out of catchment. Catchment school is rubbish and oversubscribed!

Feeling more excited than anxious at the moment. It feels like waiting for exam results.

Hopeful of getting into 1st preference school but it will be close / waiting list etc. Next to no chance of getting into school #2.

meditrina Tue 10-Apr-18 08:38:35

If he does not get any of you 3 (?) preferences, then he will be allocated a place at the nearest school which has a vacancy. This will not be your catchment school unless this year it is undersubscribed (and it sounds as if you do not expect that)

If you get a school you've never heard of, do not reject it out of hand! The LEA is under no obligation to make more than one offer.

mommathatwearspink Tue 10-Apr-18 08:41:56

We are anxiously waiting here too! We moved to this area a couple of years ago for our first choice school so I'd be so upset if DD didn't get in.
I'll be logging on at midnight on the 16th in the hope that the results have been uploaded. Although we haven't had any further correspondence regarding it since we applied.

Allosaurusroar Tue 10-Apr-18 08:55:54

I think I’m going to wait up till midnight just in case too. I probably won’t be able to sleep anyway. It definitely feels like waiting for exam results!

OP’s posts: |
Vanillaradio Tue 10-Apr-18 09:15:42

I am pretty hopeful ds will get into school 1. We live about 200m away and distance was 550m last year. But you never know. And if we don't we are right on the border for school 2. School 3 ds should almost certainly get into as had a much bigger area but I'm a bit meh about it.

fallinggreenleaves Tue 10-Apr-18 09:38:33

@Solasum I live in Devon so not as much competition to get in as London I guess?! The only school in my catchment I didn't like at all so fingers and toes crossed I get into one of the 3 I've put! 2 are on the catchment either side of mine and the other is the other side of the river so highly unlikely to get it but was so desperate not to put the one in my catchment down!

drspouse Tue 10-Apr-18 12:50:26

I'm not that anxious (sibling, 200m from school) but it would be good to be able to start the process of getting SENCO from nursery and SENCO from school acquainted (of course they already know each other because of DS).

QueenofWhisperz Tue 10-Apr-18 13:29:56

I'm freaking out.

My son is in a school because he had a statement and now they're trying to place him at another school. The Senco was his reception teacher and has been against him being part of the school to begin with (she even went through quite a few steps to make me believe the first day of school was two weeks later than it was--and forbade more than one parent drop him off on his first day of school)...<shockingly discriminatory>

Anyway, they have a sibling policy and I need my daughter to get in. Although the SENCO is practically evil, my son loves the school.

I'm just soo anxious

Charmatt Tue 10-Apr-18 14:21:22

I hope you all get the offers you hope for. The processing of applications is a really interesting job and teaches you a lot about the process. From the other side, please accept offers - even if you are going to appeal for another school. Once you have made your decisions if you have no intention of taking up a place, please reject it. It takes so much chasing of parents to find out who is taking up their places and who isn't. Sometimes other families are waiting for places that we are sure won't be taken up, but the place can't be offered until the place is rejected.

InTheRoseGarden Tue 10-Apr-18 15:18:46

Thanks Charmatt. I imagine it is very interesting being on the other side.

When you say to accept offers, would I be right to accept whatever I'm offered even if it isn't my first choice on the basis that I'll still be put on the waiting list for my higher preference schools and will be automatically upgraded if a space comes up?

Charmatt Tue 10-Apr-18 15:36:32

Yes - accepting your offer doesn't stop you appealing for another school or being on a waiting list for a higher preference school. I would always be explicit that you wish to be on a waiting list as well.
The instances where we have difficulty is where parents won't accept or reject a place, and then don't turn up in September, when others may have been waiting for a [place. Even then, our LA has a policy of waiting until we can locate the child, which I understand (children missing education, etc), but it is frustrating when other children are waiting for a place.

If you accept and then a place comes up at a school you are waiting for, the paper chain will identify that you have a space much more quickly.

Hersetta427 Tue 10-Apr-18 15:47:07

Gosh there are a lot of people on here who have not put their local school on their application and have instead put down choices that even they think they have no chance of getting. This is terribly risky and you could end up with an undersubscribed school some distance away.

If you don't get one of your preferences don't reject your offer and get on the waiting list of any school you would accept (even if it wasn't on your original list).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in