Talk

Advanced search

Montessori pre school feedback

(6 Posts)
Adrionix Fri 23-Mar-18 18:10:55

I visited a Montessori school yesterday and I am really on the fence, the setup and staff seem great, I don’t doubt they get results in terms of child development but my major concern is that the kids ability to be a creative, I just get the feeling that the system stunts their imagination! Would love to hear some of your thoughts on this! Thanks

OP’s posts: |
MMmomDD Fri 23-Mar-18 21:05:21

Was that a school or a nursery that you visited? Doesn’t really matter, just wonder what you saw to make you think that way.
Not sure why you had that impression at all.

Both of my girls went through a Montessori nursery before starting reception and I wouldn’t changed anything in their preschool years.
Montessori worked well for my kids - it allowed them to do and go at their own pace. Be creative on days when they felt like that, or do whatever it was that they felt on other days.
Both my kids came out happy and condident and started at big school without any problems

Adrionix Fri 23-Mar-18 23:04:54

Great to hear, the nursery seemed great I just wasn’t sure that the setup in general is a bit too regimented for a child, I am still very much considering putting my boy in Montessori do it would be great to hear some more feedback from other people’s experience! Thanks

OP’s posts: |
MMmomDD Fri 23-Mar-18 23:20:23

OP - I am sill confused.
Montessori isn’t regimented. At all.
Children move around various ‘areas’ - at their own volition.
There isn’t a time when they all sit and learn, for e.g. letter C and how to write it (DD1 started at another nursery before moving to Montessori and this is what they did there)

So - if the nursery you looked it had structured and regimented activities - it isn’t really Montessori.

Grobagsforever Fri 23-Mar-18 23:24:47

They're pre-schoolers. Chill. As long as they feel safe it matters not a not a jot if they have 'areas' or wooden toys or anything else. Montessori is basically a marketing thing for the middle classes.

CruCru Sat 24-Mar-18 12:02:26

All the preschools / nursery schools near me are Montessori. I think what is putting you off is that the Montessori equipment is meant to only used the way it was intended (so the Montessori counting rods are used for counting but they may not want your child to use them to make a nest for an imaginary bird).

Honestly, both my children have been through Montessori and were incredibly happy there. My daughter, in particular, brings home pictures and pieces of writing pretty much all day at nursery and they have quite a lot of time for free / imaginative play with the other children.

What is most important is that you came out of there feeling good about the people who work there and the way it is run.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in