Talk

Advanced search

Reading comprehension help!

(6 Posts)
Girlred Fri 16-Mar-18 22:38:39

Hi, would anyone be able to recommend any online reading comprehension programmes? My DS is year 3 and really struggling with this area. His school are now doing the Acclerated Programme and he seems to be failing all the quizzes so can't progress. He is consistently getting 1/5, 2/5 in the quizzes and he is beginning to get stressed and upset about it. They can only access quizzes etc. At school so I'm really stuck as how to help him. Is there any reading programme that follows a similar system of multiple choice questions? I'm thinking that if I could sit with him at home while doing such games then I could guide and help him. Any advice very welcome.

OP’s posts: |
shebagthehag Fri 16-Mar-18 22:53:22

My year 2 Ds is having the same problem.

Amazon have quite a few reading comprehension workbooks that seem to be helping my Ds. His teacher has noticed a massive improvement in the 2 weeks we've been working through them. He's still getting a few questions wrong but it's a massive improvement

user789653241 Fri 16-Mar-18 23:09:59

readtheory.org/
www.readworks.org/
mrnussbaum.com/readingpassageindex/

Girlred Sat 17-Mar-18 10:51:01

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the book and I'm going to check out those 3 websites today. Hopefully they will help a bit at least.

Girlred Sat 17-Mar-18 11:12:02

Irivineoneohone I meant to ask would you recommend any of those sites in particular? Which of the three would be most like the accelerated reader tests? Thank you.

user789653241 Sat 17-Mar-18 11:54:30

Readtheory gives you the detailed explanation for the each answer. So if you choose the wrong answer, it will tell you why, and why the correct answer should be chosen. That's the great feature when doing comprehension question with your child.

Readworks are great too, but involve some marking by written answer by you, so it's not all multiple choice.

MrNussbaus is most easiest(both text and answer) so very minimum in terms of comprehension questions.

It's all American, so grade 1= year 1/2 level, I think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in