Talk

Advanced search

Home party ideas for Boy 8yrs

(10 Posts)
dewoflittlethings Tue 13-Mar-18 12:55:19

Hi, DS is turning 8, his dad will be away on a month long business trip, so it's all on to me and DS2 ages 5. Any ideas please~~

DS would like a small party with about 9 of his friends, we have a small semi (south London..) so not really a lot of space, we've never had 9 boys over, last year's party was 4 boys over at ours, which was quite fun. Would 9 be too many?

Any dos and don't about house parties for 8 year olds? DH is worried about over excited kids, drinks spilling over upholstery and suggests I hire a child minder for the day, to lend a hand, is there such a thing? Party entertainers?

The other option would be to rent a small hall in the church near by but None of our extended families live nearby to help so I might struggle a little carrying food over with two boys in tow..

Jimjam68 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:24:25

Depending on your budget having a Gamewagon party is a great option for boys that age. They will be fully occupied outside the house for 2 hours (the van parks outside your house) then you can just have them inside for a party tea, then home. Really recommend, we’ve used them twice (I’m SW London).

m.gamewagon.co.uk

Jimjam68 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:25:46

And maybe ask another mum to stay with you for the duration of the party rather than paying for help.

whoareyou123 Wed 14-Mar-18 17:44:47

If you do have it in the hall (or even in your house) why not consider options to reduce your effort preparing the food by having something like pizzas delivered?

FairyPenguin Wed 14-Mar-18 17:51:29

I’ve made up lunch boxes for parties before - then easy to carry and no fighting over food. And no need to worry about it during the party. You can do that at the hall or at your house. No washing up either.

I personally wouldn’t have that many children at once but I’m a bit of a control freak. I’d say maybe 5 friends (so if they pair off it’s ok), and at this age they don’t need an entertainer as such. I treat it as a big playdate - they love just being together, not bothered about organised activities or what the food is.

Also, no drinks anywhere except at the kitchen table.

It’ll be fine!

FairyPenguin Wed 14-Mar-18 17:52:44

Oh and I’d probably arrange for your 5yo to have a friend over at the same time so he’s occupied and not jealous of the older boys.

ReversingSnail Wed 14-Mar-18 18:00:32

Turn your sitting room into a cinema. Put on DVD, bring in pizzas, then ice cream or popcorn. When the film is over bring out the cake followed by party bags. That's it 😀

ReversingSnail Wed 14-Mar-18 18:02:16

Oh and non-spill drinks in sports style bottles fruit shoots

Nemophilist Wed 14-Mar-18 18:04:47

We did a nerf party. They could all bring a nerf gun optional dress up.
I did pizzas and cake for food they loved it.
Same situation as you. It was that successful all the boys were talking about it at school and ds did the same for his 10th the following year.

pupchewsleg Wed 14-Mar-18 18:14:51

I wouldn't do DVD for 8 year old boys. They will be much happier running around. Nerf guns or light sabers are great (but be prepared for minor injuries and constantly sorting out darts, guns etc.) Is there room in the garden for football? Otherwise dashing round the house and being noisy would probably be a winner. I might cut the numbers to 6 ish though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: