Talk

Advanced search

Mixing in "real" books with school books

(9 Posts)
drspouse Tue 13-Mar-18 10:35:42

I've just found @norestformrz 's excellent list of banded decodable real books here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/901783-Mrz-real-reading-books-in-bands

DS is in Y1 and has just moved up to Blue but would happily read some of the lower ones as well - we already have quite a few of them and I'd like to mix these in with his school books to teach him that "reading isn't just for school books".
However some of these he knows off by heart or almost off by heart.
What approach should I take when asking him to read these/help me read DD's bedtime story? Should I just let him recite the parts he knows and then ask him to decode the words he doesn't know? Or ask him to "read" out each word so he's matching the words he's saying to the ones on the page?

I'm quite looking forward to putting him together book "packs" actually and there are some we don't have yet but are from series that we like e.g. we don't have Mog and Me but love the other Mog books, and we love Nick Sharratt.

drspouse Tue 13-Mar-18 10:37:07

Oh I forgot to say - my DF got DS Noggin the King for Christmas and it is decodable!
I haven't looked at every page yet so I'm not completely sure what band it would be roughly but I think we'll try some of the other ones too.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 13-Mar-18 10:54:42

Surely if he knows them off by heart he's not really reading them.

drspouse Tue 13-Mar-18 10:58:11

Some of them he will "recite" much of every page with a few omissions.
Some he gives a rendering but it isn't that accurate (so I need to know what to do with the parts where he already knows a portion of a page but not the rest).

reluctantbrit Tue 13-Mar-18 11:21:18

We never went by any kind of book list. We took DD to the library and chose first reader books and read them together. Bit by bit DD increased the portion of her share until she started reading books totally on her own.

Most books are fairly repetitive and we found that DD would memorise the text far too fast and then the whole point of decoding was wasted.

That was also the reason I didn't buy any of these books, libraries are a better source.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 13-Mar-18 11:29:28

oh ok. ds could recite books word for word from a very young but couldn't read until 5.

Naty1 Tue 13-Mar-18 14:09:22

i would avoid the ones he has memorised for the moment. As you want him to read each word accurately not as a memorised sentence.
You could use reading chest as that gives decodable book banded books.

drspouse Tue 13-Mar-18 14:21:03

Naty we did try Reading Chest over the summer but they are mainly from reading schemes i.e. not authors he particularly likes.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 13-Mar-18 21:37:15

www.badgerlearning.co.uk/ecommerce/search/1801690w-blue-banded-box.aspx

We used some of these when ds was on blue band

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: