Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Distracted child - solutions required - please

(3 Posts)
BeaLola Mon 12-Mar-18 19:55:54

Sorry this is long.

I have one DS 10. He is doing well at school which he loves. However every report always goes on about how distracted he is , how easily he lets others distract him and that he needs to stay focussed in class. His latest report says the same , it also adds that he has brilliant ideas and enormous potential but needs to channel his ideas /potential consistently to make the progress he is capable of.

I agree with their observations as he is like this at home when doing his homework - he hates doing homework and will do it as quickly as possible and with little attention to detail. He particularly hates doing written work- if I had to describe his written work I would say slapdash - often forgets punctuation or capital letters. However when he does focus and apply himself the difference is huge.

He started school at nearly 5 very behind due to his early life experiences - he came to live with us just before he started school and I am so very proud of him in the way he has adjusted fitting in to a new world, coping with life changes etc and building relatuonships etc. I feel though that I am failing him - how can I help/teach him how to focus, not to get distracted and to achieve his full potential?

Thanks if you got to here.

ShawshanksRedemption Mon 12-Mar-18 22:02:58

Ok so the school have pointed this out, but didn't they suggest strategies to try in school?

For home I can recommend using a visual timer - say 10mins work, 5 mins break, and do the work in short bursts. If you think he can do more than 10min in one go, then do that, but break the work up. Sometimes it's easier for kids to have work broken up in that way, rather than feel daunted by a huge amount (to them!) in one go.

Nickmom Tue 13-Mar-18 15:09:27

Bea.....There are lots of things to try. I had the same issues with my DS1. Its fine at 10 when they are able (sounds like your boy is very able) but will be trouble as they get older and work gets more demanding. Obviously keep an eye on sleep and sugar. Some classical type music in the background (worked for my DS.) Sounds strange but chewing gum can help. I agree with breaking up the time and letting the kids have breaks! Omega 3s are important and might help to supplement. If writing is tough , could he type his work? Might be that he is having trouble writing (also DS1.) A bit of something to play with in his hands (a squeeze ball or blue tac)? Basically, I tried it all. Somethings helped some didn't. In the end we had him assessed and he has add. The diagnosis changed his life. He was able to get help, learn to type, concentrate and (at 20) is really fulfilling his potential.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: