Advanced search

Which school shirts to buy?

(22 Posts)
suitandheels Sun 11-Mar-18 20:40:47

Had a letter on Friday from primary school attended by my 4 DD to inform parents that the uniform is changing from polo shirts to proper shirts and an optional tie. Just wondering which other people think is better, regular school shirts or ones with a rever collar? Either will be accepted by school but I'm not sure which is better as will be worn under a school sweatshirt.

dementedpixie Sun 11-Mar-18 21:09:26

Dd wears short sleeved normal collar shirts from Tesco

Faultymain5 Mon 12-Mar-18 06:31:28

I prefer normal collar, but if I have a choice, whichever had the best offer at the time I was buying.

RedSkyAtNight Mon 12-Mar-18 08:00:21

For younger DC I'd think polo shirts would be easier (shudders at how long it used to take DS to button up a shirt). I'd imagine they would likely be more hardwearing too.

for older DC I suspect they'll want whatever their friends wear.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 12-Mar-18 08:50:39

Revere collar work best with V neck, regular or Peter Pan collar work best with round neck.

thismeansnothing Mon 12-Mar-18 08:54:03

We get the shirts from m&s. They wash really well. The top button is Velcro high is good cos DD found that button really tricky. And the button on the cuff is on a tiny bit of elastic so she can get her hands in without having to unfasten and rebuttonthem up

thismeansnothing Mon 12-Mar-18 08:54:46

I prefer aproper shirt though. Just looks smarter

suitandheels Mon 12-Mar-18 19:01:34

I think the new headteacher is aiming for a smarter uniform, hence the switch from polo shirts to tailored ones.

I'm not sure whether I should ask my daughters which shirts they would prefer, to find out what other parents are planning on buying, or whether to just make a decision myself.

The current school jumpers are round neck, I think there will be a plan eventually to change these but with cost being an implication there since they are logo'ed, it's more expensive than just changing the shirts initially. Ties will be provided by school FOC for those who want them as an incentive to all switch at the same time.

I'm not sure which would look better under the rounded neck sweatshirt?

dementedpixie Mon 12-Mar-18 19:15:31

When ours changed it was done after parent consultations and was done at the start of a new school year, not part way through. My 2 rarely wear a jumper so short sleeves mean the cuffs don't get filthy

BrendansDanceShoes Tue 13-Mar-18 12:39:25

M&S . Found the supermarket brands to be false economy as they do not stay white or even last the wear and tear of at least a year. Teach younger DCs to only unbutton as many buttons as necessary to get their shirt off, like a polo shirt. Cuffs don't need to be undone to get their hand through. I agree, shirts look so much better, especially in the summer when most cheap white polo tops are all a dodgy shade of grey. Less of a shock to kids when they go to secondary too.

Caroian Tue 13-Mar-18 15:19:17

If the jumpers are currently round neck then definitely go for normal collar. Reveres only really work with v-neck (or cardigans).

M&S "Ultimate non-iron" are the only Ines I've ever found which genuinely don't need ironing. Their ordinary non-iron ones tend to look less smooth unless you iron them- this may not bother you! I agree that really cheap shirts are usually a false economy. And the Velcro collar/cuffs onM£S shirts is great for younger kids.

suitandheels Tue 13-Mar-18 19:42:37

I discussed this with my mum earlier; I was asking her how realistic she thought it was for my youngest 2 (in reception) to wear proper ties and she said that apparently I did from starting school too!

I assume people say that rever collar are best with V-neck jumpers because they are visible? Looking at the fit of the current school jumper, neither of the shirt styles will be visible really, unless I get proper shirts and the collar is worn outside the jumper? In which case the ties won't be seen either when the jumper is worn confused

dementedpixie Tue 13-Mar-18 20:06:43

Our younger primary children get elastic ties. Ties won't really show with a round collar

suitandheels Wed 14-Mar-18 17:35:06

Is it possible for ties to be worn with a rever collar shirt?

thismeansnothing Wed 14-Mar-18 19:52:41

Ties with a polo shirt doesn't look quite right.
But at DD school infants have elasticated ties and juniors have a proper tie

suitandheels Wed 14-Mar-18 21:48:45

They won't be wearing polo shirts, I just wasn't sure whether I had to get button up shirts to take a tie.

All the ties will be proper ones.

ForgetMeNotCat Wed 14-Mar-18 22:18:24

No you don't wear a tie with a revere collar. Dd wears one (and I did too at school) They are like this

ForgetMeNotCat Wed 14-Mar-18 22:22:31

You want a shirt that buttons to the neck for a tie like this
Or i believe Marks do them with elastic at the top

QuiteQuietly Thu 15-Mar-18 08:59:25

Normal collar shirt if there are ties. If there is no elasticated tie option, cut the tie in half and sew or glue velcro on the cut ends to put it back together. Knot the tie as normal with the velcro join at the back of the collar. Then voila easy (and safer) tie for smaller children. This literally saved DS's life in infants when a thug tried to hang him.

suitandheels Thu 15-Mar-18 21:13:25

Thank you, yes I think normal shirts would probably be best; they can wear them with the collar inside or outside the sweatshirt, and I guess they'll look ok if the school changes to a V neck at any point?

Would it be acceptable for the shirts to be worn with the top button undone and the tie left loose, especially if they're under the jumper and won't be seen?

viques Sat 17-Mar-18 14:10:31

Another one here saying go for short sleeves! Long sleeved cuffs get filthy with glue, paint, general muck and never look the same! Classrooms are often hot so short sleeves under a jumper are fine in older weather, and a lot more comfortable in summer.

viques Sat 17-Mar-18 14:11:47

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now