Talk

Advanced search

An online game or app for learning to tell the time?

(13 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Wed 14-Feb-18 11:32:33

Just that really. An 11 year old who can’t tell the time.

Any helpful ideas welcome please.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:51:47

The Nessy Clock Island game is good. I’m not sure how much it costs.

irvineoneohone Wed 14-Feb-18 13:59:47

Get him a watch and keep asking time. Put a clock in everywhere in the house and keep asking time.

glitterbiscuits Wed 14-Feb-18 14:10:00

We have done the clock and watch thing. Bought a jigsaw and a book.

DC is actively avoiding the issue. Then going off in a strop.
I think embarrassment is the issue now.

glitterbiscuits Wed 14-Feb-18 14:16:08

I will check out Nessy next. Thanks

clary Thu 15-Feb-18 23:20:31

Well done OP for addressing this. I was shocked when teaching to discover how many 13-14yos couldn't tell the time. What they will do in their GCSEs is beyond me.

Just for info tho - it can be a marker for dyslexia in which case as I understand it, it is very difficult to master. So just be sure dyslexia is eliminated or not suggested by anything else.

lolalotta Fri 16-Feb-18 06:55:34

An app called squeebles!!! My daughter learnt to tell the time on it! They do Times tables too. Is fab! xxx

Norestformrz Fri 16-Feb-18 08:22:02

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/interactive.aspx?cat=17

lorisparkle Fri 16-Feb-18 08:30:37

As pp said the squeebles range of apps are fantastic.

ilovesushi Fri 16-Feb-18 10:59:44

I would also recommend Nessy. My kids both have dyslexia and times tables and telling the time are huge issues for them. I noticed that swatch do kids watches which look really helpful in identifying the minutes and hours and the minutes to and past the hour. There are good ones for older kids too - not all butterflies and sports cars!

glitterbiscuits Fri 16-Feb-18 11:44:26

Thanks all. Yes! DC does have ‘mild’ dyslexia.
I didn’t realise all our house wall clocks had Roman numerals and so that was used as an excuse.
The school watch had been lost.
It’s becoming an issue. Lots of the telling the time games and books I’ve found seem to be aimed at much younger children.

Norestformrz Fri 16-Feb-18 13:05:34

Tell your child it's not a good excuse as Roman. Numerals are in the maths curriculum for Y3 .
Can they do hours? O'clock? Half past? Quarter to and past?

whatsagoodusername Fri 16-Feb-18 14:49:39

We bought one of these for our kids - very simple to read analogue wall clock with quarter to/past, etc on the clock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: