Talk

Advanced search

Moving from NY to London - reviews on schools?

(9 Posts)
olibc Mon 12-Feb-18 17:30:58

Hi,
I'm moving to London with my family (2 boys, one who will be 5 in may the other 2yrs old) and we are now looking for schools (I'm Brazilian, my husband Italian and we are looking for a place that is good academically but also nurturing and that encourages play). We are currently looking at:
Newton prep
Abercorn
Northbridge House
La Scuola Italiana a Londra

Any reviews/suggestions on those? we might also consider ICS but so far read mixed reviews so I don't know if I should go ahead with the application.

Thank you very much for any recommendation/ help / insight!!

buzzingmama Mon 12-Feb-18 21:17:22

What area are you hoping to live in? As 2 are in NW london and the other 2 arent... And have you a preference if you want them to have a british schooling or an international one?

olibc Mon 12-Feb-18 21:33:10

Hi Buzzingmama,
we are pretty flexible - we want to stay more or less "central" but we kind of accepted that the we will decide on where to live depending on the school. I am not certain yet if I prefer british or international (at least for primary school I'm still fine with both, later probably an IB curriculum but they are still very young now). Do you know any of these schools? any recommendations? and thank you in advance!

buzzingmama Tue 13-Feb-18 14:42:03

I know the Abercorn has a good reputation certainly.. It also has lots of international kids. It also is spread across 3 sites so you are aware.
Northbridge House i don't have any personal experience of, but I have never hear such great things about it ..

Newton prep I dont know but have heard of it. The italian one I have no clue about it!

olibc Tue 13-Feb-18 15:11:04

Thank you so much!!!

sanam2010 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:01:37

Newton prep would definitely be considered the strongest academically of those options. Have you got a place there already? Harder to get in than the others as a result.

Do have a look at the following website for research if you haven't already:
www.londonpreprep.com

roses2 Wed 14-Feb-18 08:16:38

I've heard from someone that sent their child to Northbridge House that it is very profit driven and your child is a number for income.

CruCru Fri 16-Feb-18 11:35:32

Hi OP

How long do you expect to be in the UK for? If it is only for a couple of years I might suggest looking at international schools as they are more likely to be able to manage kids coming and going. The schools you've listed are quite far away from me so I don't know anyone who has children there. It might be worth getting hold of a copy of the Good Schools Guide for London (North and South).

CruCru Fri 16-Feb-18 11:38:58

Also, do you have a strong preference for co ed or single sex schools? Quite a few schools in the UK are single sex (particularly in Hampstead).

Other schools you might want to contact are:

Devonshire House (Hampstead, mixed)
St Anthony's (Hampstead, boys)
Hereward House (Swiss Cottage, boys)
St Paul's Cathedral (City of London, mixed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now