Talk

Advanced search

DD lying?

(3 Posts)
sallythesheep73 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:00:51

Sometimes DD likes to embelish stuff (good and bad) e.g. she came first in something or something bad happened.

Do all children do this to makes themselves 'more interesting'. We encourage her to do things and to try her best but have made it clear that its the participating that counts. The school is very good and championing participation rather than success.

So all kids do this? She is 7.

How do we nip this in the bud?

I've just caught her out - she said she was first in something and now I am doubting whether she even participated...

Stiddleficks Fri 09-Feb-18 12:06:03

My 7yr old dd does this all the time, I think it’s just their imagination in overdrive. Apparently she went to the park with the teacher earlier this week as she had been so good with finishing her work. No one else just her and the teacher.
She was also meeting all her friends in the pub at 7pm last night before going to the trampoline park hmm.
I don’t think it’s anything you need to nip in the bud as such, I think they just grow out of it. At parents evening the teacher told us lots of them do it and she’ll be sure to check with us first if dd says anything remotely unbelievable.

sallythesheep73 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:31:20

I agree they do go through an imagination kind of making things up stage and that was probably about age 4 or 5 for DD. This is more to do with achievements / children being punished for bad behaviour at school so I am wondering if it is more for attention / praise / to stand out? Just seems weird.
I rather know I can believe what she is telling me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now