Question about childcare vouchers

(12 Posts)
IamAporcupine Mon 05-Feb-18 22:38:52

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay childcare for someone else's child?

OP’s posts: |
IamAporcupine Tue 06-Feb-18 11:45:16

bump smile

OP’s posts: |
sirfredfredgeorge Tue 06-Feb-18 12:06:11

If you mean via the tax salary sacrifice scheme - then you need to have parental responsibility for the child being cared for.

IamAporcupine Tue 06-Feb-18 12:18:43

Thanks, yes the tax salary sacrifice scheme
So I could not ask the childcare provider to invoice me for someone else's child?

OP’s posts: |
Zodlebud Tue 06-Feb-18 12:40:26

I believe you need to be the parent, legal guardian or have parental responsibility for the child in question.

The employer pays costs associated with these vouchers so are designed to be used only by the employee - why would they pay for someone totally unconnected to the company?

There is also a tax aspect. Tax is not deducted so you could end up in a position where someone got them, paid for another child's care and then was reimbursed in cash by that child's guardian. Unlikely scenario but would be seen as tax avoidance / fraud by HMRC.

IamAporcupine Tue 06-Feb-18 13:12:24

Thanks Zodlebud

I get vouchers for my son and pay for childcare through this scheme. The reason I was asking is because I have too much money in the account and do not want to lose it, so I thought I could pay for another child in exchange for extra-curricular lessons (given by the parent).
Didn't realise this would imply tax avoidance.

OP’s posts: |
OlennasWimple Tue 06-Feb-18 13:14:27

No, you can't use it for someone else's child.

But you probably won't lose the money either - you can use it until the child is 15 (IIRC). It can soon get eaten up with holiday clubs etc, even if you don't need as much regular child care as they get older


IamAporcupine Tue 06-Feb-18 13:16:08

Ok, thanks!
You are right, still have 10 years ahead!

OP’s posts: |
Lonecatwithkitten Tue 06-Feb-18 16:15:29

When they are older you can use them to pay for things like PGL holidays in the school holidays.

Ilovewillow Tue 06-Feb-18 16:24:49

You can apply for the money back but due to the tax benefit you have received it will then need to be taxed. I organised this for an employer and the money was returned less tax. If it's a small sim I'd leave it and use it for holiday clubs etc which allow payment in vouchers.

TinaMena Tue 06-Feb-18 16:56:08

I thought you had to use the vouchers within a year of obtaining them. That might be the old scheme, though. You can always have a refund and have them paid back into your salary, but you'd pay tax on that.
If your childcare provider is willing to turn a blind eye, you could pay them to the provider, and have another parent pay you the cash - I don't know if there's some sort of audit process to pick up on that, though?

IamAporcupine Tue 06-Feb-18 18:13:16

Thanks everyone!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in