Talk

Advanced search

Milbourne lodge Esher Vs Hampton prep, Hampton

(14 Posts)
Shrads Tue 30-Jan-18 23:28:51

Any parents sending their kids to either Milbourne lodge school in Esher or Hampton prep; would you be able to share your thoughts on these schools? My DS has been offered a place at both the schools for Yr 3 and we need to choose. One is 13+ school vs another 11+. But any first hand experience of d schools will be really appreciated.

TIA

Sunshine5050 Sat 03-Feb-18 09:25:04

It depends if you want your ds to go on to Hampton school or not. If you aren't sure then go for the nearest to you as they are both in areas of busy traffic.

Shrads Mon 05-Feb-18 10:50:02

Thanks Sunshine. IN terms of distance, both are equidistant for us from where we are; for Hampton we will have to traverse Kingston's one way system though.
In terms of Hampton Prep; does it primarily prepare kids to go to Hampton senior only ? And not other top senior schools? TBH, at this stage; we don't know at this stage what senior schools will suit my DS. He is more quiet kind of boy rather than outgoing / talkative one .

Sunshine5050 Mon 05-Feb-18 15:11:07

I'm not a parent at hampton Prep so not in a position to say but I would really question the school re their preparation for schools other than Hampton for which they have 20 assured places this year. It's quite a long way to travel if you aren't sure you want Hampton school in the future but on the other hand if you go for Milbourne Lodge it limits your choice for Kingston Grammar that has its main entry at 11. Maybe go on what works best for your ds and don't worry about secondary schools.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Mon 05-Feb-18 17:20:12

Bearing in mind youngest DC is now Y8 so a long time since I looked at preps and that the school has now been sold, historically Milbourne has been a strong prep for boarding schools and top London Indys. It used to call itself the country Colet Court. I can't see a list of recent destinations on their website but if you look at the scholarship boards the boys are photographed against it gives you a general idea of the kind of schools the boys progress to. No idea if this is still the case but you need to find out because if so it will attract very wealthy parents looking for top boarding schools. It will be very different to somewhere like Denmead/Hampton which will mostly be 11+ parents trying to avoid the tutoring.
If Milbourne is still as it was then these are 2 very different schools and one will suit much more than the other depending on what you are looking for.

Sunshine5050 Mon 05-Feb-18 17:46:09

I think Milbourne is changing, I've heard only 2 going to boarding school this year. It's still getting the places at KCS, RGS, Hampton etc but the squeeze on day places for boys is being felt by all preps. Shrewsbury House has the boarding links at the moment.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Mon 05-Feb-18 18:23:23

Shrads - ask the schools for a detailed breakdown of where the boys went last year and split between day and boarding. Its the only way to be 100% sure.

trinity0097 Mon 05-Feb-18 19:51:18

Each year group can be totally different in a school and comparing where children went last year will have little influence on where they go this year and where the year after.

Schools that send to a wide range of senior schools would be best for someone who doesn’t yet know what school, or sort of school they want, or equally if they are currently unsure about leaving at 11or 13.

Shrads Tue 06-Feb-18 09:13:38

Thanks everyone for your viewpoints.

We are very clear that we will not be looking for boarding schools at senior and aren't targeting grammar schools either. Ideally, we would like DS to go to St Pauls / KCS or top day indys but then we really don't know at this stage if he has the calibre. I understand with Hampton we are restricting our options to Hampton senior which again is very good school and through assured places scheme, it will give us more chances for DS to get senior.
In terms of 11+ Vs 13+, any suggestions which are better options?
I will drop email to Milbourne just to get an idea of break-up for destinations.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 06-Feb-18 10:37:00

I disagree trinity. DS1 attended a very academic 13+ prep where London day schools were always the first choice, no more than 1 or 2 went onto boarding in any year group. I just checked their destinations and its still the same. DS2 is at a different prep which is known for pupils going on to boarding schools and the vast majority do every year. The parent group at prep 2 is completely different in so many ways I could write a book about it.

Shrads-if you are set on SPs/KCS then Denmead isn't your best bet. But they are just schools (and I say that as a KCS parent). Hampton has a slightly broader intake but it does extremely well with it's brightest. Are you sure its worth the travelling if Hampton is nearby?

Shrads Tue 06-Feb-18 20:39:06

Thanks cake. For us in terms of distance both are equidistant but we are other side of river and hence will have to travel through Kingston one way system. I have written to school to get breakdown of leavers. I think I have quite a few good points to ponder.

Sunshine5050 Tue 06-Feb-18 22:36:07

Just an idea but I noticed there is a Hampton School open day on 6th March, it might be worth visiting to get an idea of the secondary set up.

Shrads Wed 07-Feb-18 09:20:49

Thanks sunshine. Very good suggestion and I will book for open day at seniors but I will have to decide on school offers asap. sad

Lulu201316 Thu 08-Feb-18 00:00:55

We had the same choice and decided on Hampton a week or so ago after much debate! Have PMed you. Great choice to have though, well done him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now