Talk

Advanced search

In Yr2 kids same sex relationships lessons

(330 Posts)
yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 21:50:16

Hi
In Year 2 they have a day where kids learn about samesex relationships
It’s after Easter apperantly is that nationally and is every school different

If this to happen How can I as a parent address this with the teacher the fact that I don’t want him to participate

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 12-Feb-18 07:28:44

I'm sure some Catholics do follow church doctorine. Suspect that many in the UK don't on this point though.

Beanteam Mon 12-Feb-18 07:01:18

Just because someone has different beliefs I'm ok that they can believe what they want as long as they follow UK Law. The attitude to people who believe differently is pretty scary on these threads.

Live and let live. It's like being a Tory, no one would admit it on MN. Thinking that everyone agrees with liberal views is a bit naive. Looking on Google nearly 3 million people are muslim in the uk and there were 26 million baptised into the Catholic Church in 2010. No doubt there a few or them left. Some of them must follow the church' doctrine.

headinhands Mon 12-Feb-18 06:41:10

parents are losing the right to be the main moral educators of their children.

As I said previously deciding that being gay is wrong is not a moral position in that you haven't arrived there by thinking about what actions harm people. You've arrived by what you think god says. That's obedience and didn't require any 'weighing up' process.

In that sense you're not educating your child about morals when it comes to being gay. You're just saying 'nope'. And that's all you can say because frankly if I pressed you on why being gay is wrong ALL you can come back to is god. You won't be able to use any reasoning or defence on why god thinks it's wrong.

Redhead17 Sun 11-Feb-18 17:01:26

I come from a very catholic family and when my cousin came out as gay literally everyone wanted to disown him, there are worse things he could be, I told them all to get a grip and respect him it doesn’t change him.

This attitude fucks me off they were all horrified and I was delighted that no matter how much they tried to tell him growing up men and women only my son he came out on a big old rainbow riding a unicorn sprinkling the gay all round the village.

They now accept it even if the church frowns on it all.

I’m atheist by the way.

Kids know this stuff anyway they aren’t like the older generation things are much more out there now a days even my kids surprise me with things they say or know.

headinhands Sun 11-Feb-18 16:45:25

The thing is, about saying you think being gay is wrong, is that all you can cite is that it's against your religion, no logic, no reason, and there is no logic or reason. You're just saying it's wrong because you think your god says it's wrong. That's not morality.

Morality takes into account if something causes harm. Your position isn't about morality. And like Tracie Harris puts it, it's no more thought out than a dog not jumping up on the sofa because it's owner shouts at it when it does.

BIWI Sun 11-Feb-18 14:05:27

homophobia
NOUN

mass noun
Dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people

Hope that helps clear things up.

DangerMouse17 Sun 11-Feb-18 11:06:28

OP you are quite within your right to have an opinion and not agree with same-sex relationships (I wouldn't call you homaphobic as I think it's a ridiculous term anyway....people don't FEAR gay people, they just may not agree with it and fair enough)

However, regardless of your personal opinion your child will be part of a society that sees this sort of relationship as the norm - and they will need to deal with it and tolerate it. If they are not taught to respect and tolerate this early on then it will be to their detriment. Better to get it over and done with! wink

Ragusa Sun 11-Feb-18 10:55:04

@italianone but parents will still be the principal moral educators of their children.

Have you considered how your child might feel if they do grow up gaya and we'll aware you consider this morally wrong? I cannot get my head around "oh we love the gays but hate what they do". I know people say similar when kids are being naughty ie "I don't agree with that behaviour but I love you", but the crucial difference is this behaviour is modifiable. Sexuality is only modifiable if you deny yourself a partnership and sex life for ever. Which doesn't seem reasonable. Would God really want someone to be without a life partner and sexuality??

headinhands Sun 11-Feb-18 10:47:40

'They aren't taking them to a live sex show'

grin

headinhands Sun 11-Feb-18 10:39:14

I think it should be taught later in yr 4 or 5, when kids have a better understanding of relationships.

And same sex couples have kids. So their kids know about same sex relationships from the 'get go' years before you think they should know. So you think that's bad right?

headinhands Sun 11-Feb-18 10:38:05

I think it should be taught later in yr 4 or 5, when kids have a better understanding of relationships.

When your dc's were little did you pretend you were single or just friends with your partner? Of course not. Why is it okay for small kids to see and know about hetero relationships? You're making it more complicated. It's not.

yogaginrepeat Sun 11-Feb-18 10:31:33

You don't agree with it and he's 7?!?! My 4 year old understands that love is love! You're doing him a serious disservice.
Haven't read through all the comments but is it because you're homophobic and worried he'll turn gay if he's informed loving relationships can occur in same sex relationships hmm?

ljlkk Sun 11-Feb-18 10:27:08

I hate this. Why have lessons in same sex relationships as if they're a "thing". They're not a "thing" it's just normal life in 2010s

OP is exactly why the lessons are a good thing. Her child won't be exposed to the concept, otherwise, that a loving couple is anything but male-female. OP & Her child don't have to approve, but they can accept that equality for such relationships is the decision of the society around them & not a threat to them. Little & often is a good way to learn to get to grips with weird ideas, so not too young.

MarklahMarklah Sun 11-Feb-18 10:20:03

My 7 year old is already well aware of single-sex relationships as several of my friends are gay. So she knows that Sally has a wife, that Robert has a husband... It really is not an issue.
There are same-sex parents at her school, so it's pointless to ignore, anyway.
All they're talking about right now is that some people have husbands, some people have wives, some people are single, etc.

Aria2015 Sun 11-Feb-18 10:10:11

I think it's a shame you feel this way. I'm teaching my toddler that relationships can come in all forms and by the time he's 7 I'm hoping he won't even need a lesson at school to tell him.

If you do take him out the talk, just be aware that his friends may talk about it after they attend and he could get second hand information in '7 year old speak' which could cause him confusion. He's better having it explained by an adult who can answer his questions properly.

seafooodplatter Sun 11-Feb-18 10:07:40

It isn't homophobic to disagree with gay relationships, or gay adopting children etc etc.
People are free to do what they like, and be treated nicely. But not a chance I'll be normalizing homosexual relationships to my kids. If they ask I say some people do that but it's something we don't agree with.end of story.if they say " I'll marry my same sex friend" I say you can't because he's also a boy for example. I don't say we hate all gays, I don't say that will burn in he'll I just say that's not something we agree with/ do.
No reason for name calling the OP , not a very good example of tolerance.

It isn't homophobic to disagree with gay relationships, or gay adopting children etc etc.

It really is

But not a chance I'll be normalizing homosexual relationships to my kids.

This makes you homophobic.

if they say " I'll marry my same sex friend" I say you can't because he's also a boy for example. I don't say we hate all gays, I don't say that will burn in he'll I just say that's not something we agree with/ do.

I hope your kids do turn out to be gay. Then they will realise what a truly awful, small minded bigot they have for a parent.

Who the fuck are you to lecture on tolerance? You sounded truly horrible.

HTH.

BIWI Sun 11-Feb-18 09:47:59

@ItalianOne

Yes it is.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 11-Feb-18 09:44:42

Says the person who posted this:

But not a chance I'll be normalizing homosexual relationships to my kids.

catkind Sun 11-Feb-18 09:39:39

There's certainly a risk they'll come to that conclusion italian if they've been brought up with you telling them that what they are doesn't exist or you disagree with it. Remember they'll know they're gay before you do. Possibly a very long time before if you take that approach.

But in the shorter term, imagine if one of their new classmates in reception has two dads and your DC tries to tell them they're lying because a boy can't marry a boy? Deliberately lying to your kids is just setting them up for a fall.

ItalianOne Sun 11-Feb-18 09:19:20

Why would they realize I hate them when I Don't? Not agree with doesn't mean hate

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 11-Feb-18 08:54:51

What of your kids is gay? It might be fine lying to them at 6 and telling them they can’t marry a boy but at some point they’re going to realise that you hate who they are.

And not agreeing with homosexual relationships or deciding it’s not something you ‘do’ Is homophobic. Just because you think you treat them nicely doesn’t change your underlying homophobic beliefs.

ItalianOne Sun 11-Feb-18 08:30:14

Op I think your germttibg a flaming for no reason.religion and seen very well on mumsnet.
People are free to do what they like, and be treated nicely. But not a chance I'll be normalizing homosexual relationships to my kids. If they ask I say some people do that but it's something we don't agree with.end of story.if they say " I'll marry my same sex friend" I say you can't because he's also a boy for example. I don't say we hate all gays, I don't say that will burn in he'll I just say that's not something we agree with/ do.

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Sun 11-Feb-18 08:16:33

Honestly not difficult to share this information. My two year old stated that everyone has a Mummy and a Daddy. I said some people do but some have two Mummies or Two Daddies or just a Mummy or a Daddy. That some people don't have children either and that's OK too and that some people don't have a Mummy or a Daddy (recent bereavement in the family).

She said "OK Mummy" and went back to playing.

Job done. The earlier you introduce topics like this, the earlier he'll just accept its fact. 6 is way too late, I would presume he already knows. I certainly knew about sex by then from playground chat but my parents ignored that fact for many many years.

anonteacher1 Sun 11-Feb-18 06:31:35

You do know that even if you take him out the lesson that he'll still hear it from kids on the playground??? hmmhmmhmm

My dd is 7 and I'm bloody pleased that she knows about "gays" in the same way she is accepting and tolerant of disabilities.

BIWI Sat 10-Feb-18 15:56:42

I'm sorry, but just because you haven't come into contact with any gay couples doesn't mean that your children shouldn't learn about same sex marriages.

That's like people who live in mainly white areas being allowed to express racist views because they haven't come across any black people hmm

And if you look at the proportion of the young population (16-24s) who identify as LGBTQ, it's much higher than the national average, which suggests that - finally - people are happy to 'come out', rather than hide their natural sexual orientation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »