Talk

Advanced search

In Yr2 kids same sex relationships lessons

(330 Posts)
yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 21:50:16

Hi
In Year 2 they have a day where kids learn about samesex relationships
It’s after Easter apperantly is that nationally and is every school different

If this to happen How can I as a parent address this with the teacher the fact that I don’t want him to participate

LemonScentedStickyBat Thu 25-Jan-18 22:34:00

What would you have done if your child was in a class with one of my children, OP? The children all know my dd and my ds have two mums. They don’t seem to have suffered from this knowledge, tbh.

0hCrepe Thu 25-Jan-18 22:34:13

as an ex Christian I can remember only too well the stress in trying to marry up a philosophy of pure love with a doctrine of prohibition and punishment. It was a great relief when I unshackled myself from an outdated politically driven ancient manuscript.
If you really were ok with being gay you would be fine about it. You’d be fine about it if your own son grew up to be gay.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 22:34:30

In my religion, same-sex relationships aren't treated equally. I'm C of E and the Church won't marry gay couples.

But I think it is missing the point to say a child 'doesn't understand' or 'isn't interested' in relationships. It's not about their relationships, is it?! At this age, it's about their understanding of Bob and Bill or Liz and Sue down the road, whose child is in their class.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:34:47

ShitWit where in Christianity does it say women are less

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 25-Jan-18 22:34:50

My friend and his partner recently adopted a little boy. They were pleasantly surprised to find they were only one of a number of “two-daddy-families” in his school, and there are also several “two-mummy-families”. I would be really amazed if a seven year old didn’t know some children have two dads or two mums, in the same way some children just have one parent, tbh.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 25-Jan-18 22:34:53

He sees me and dad together, and has some understanding, but I think that would be better later on when kids are older. Don't think he understands about marriage. He is developmentally delayed so probably a bit immature compared to his peers and his understanding not too good.

mrsmrsmrsmrsmrs Thu 25-Jan-18 22:35:06

Bloody hell - Mumsnet is on fire this evening. OP I understand your concern with your strong religious background and as one pp suggested, ask to have a look at the info they will be talking about. Hopefully it will put your mind at rest.

Not all children will have been exposed to same sex relationships, especially in a strict religious community - OP was merely asking a question and probably it is not just her that will want to know the information.

OP doesn't think same sex relationships are wrong but I would think that quite a few elderly family members of hers might and she is right to want to handle the situation carefully.

TheMathsTrainee Thu 25-Jan-18 22:35:40

I'm not sure a 7year old has clear concepts of the different types of love and relationships between e.g. friendships, boyfriend-girlfriend, parents, parent-child etc etc. as a frame of reference. So they could get quite baffled I would imagine, if it was introduced as a thing.

As previous poster said, it's all around us and quite normalised on TV etc., to be it seems to be making an issue of a non-issue to have a specific session on same-sex relationships.

Thistlebelle Thu 25-Jan-18 22:35:47

My DD announced that she wanted to marry her best girl friend when she was 2yo.

I said “that’s nice dear but you have to wait until you are a grown up.”

<shrug> it’s not that complex.

Ihatepompoussoccermums Thu 25-Jan-18 22:35:49

My kids are not learning this at school, but are vaguely aware as my uncle is gay and we are close with him and his husband. My 10 year old DS understands more but isn’t really phased. If they were to teach it I wouldn’t have a problem. I know for a fact you are legally allowed to remove your child from all classes , I think except for English, maths and science.

MissMouseMcPhee Thu 25-Jan-18 22:35:58

Aeroflot really?????

This is an actual conversation about same sex relationships with my four year old.

Him - "Mum I'm going to marry Jessica from nursery."
Me - "That's nice."
Him - "Or maybe Jack. Can I marry Jack cos he's a boy"
Me - "Yes, of course you can. But you don't need to choose right now because you can't get married until you are a grown up and you're going to meet a lot more people that you might want to marry. You might decide not to get married...who knows"
Him - "that's true"

The end.

feral Thu 25-Jan-18 22:35:58

My son is 5 and I've talked to him about this in a method appropriate for his level. I don't want him to see same sex relationships as different from same sex ones. The younger the better I feel. They feed off us at this age.

Because I'm not a homophobe. Sounds like you are and as though you're raising your child to be one too.

BashStreetKid Thu 25-Jan-18 22:37:00

Your religion presumably doesn’t believe in murder. Do you keep your son away from history lessons which will regularly feature murder and worse?

Namechanger124 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:37:09

I dont understand why they have to have a full day of learning about same sex couples... way to normalise it..... our school just teaches it as part of the whole sex education/pse/family/all about me type lessons.
At 7 it's more of a some mummies/ladies love daddies and some mummies love mummies and some children have 1 mummy and all families are different etc

feral Thu 25-Jan-18 22:37:23

You deserve to be judged. Religion has a lot to answer for.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 25-Jan-18 22:37:53

I have never had that conversation with my dis Miss probably because he has SN and does not understand marriage, or mabey is not that interested in it just yet!

QuizteamBleakley Thu 25-Jan-18 22:38:06

Not atheist, thanks. Would love to hear some more views from your religion. Like, abortion, role of a wife, women's duties and so on.

Callamia Thu 25-Jan-18 22:38:18

Is it a whole day? Cool.
Do you have any idea what would be taught/talked about? I’m guessing not. Why don’t you talk to your child’s teacher first, instead of diving off about not letting your child participate? Be an adult about this.

If you genuinely think you can hold a position where you don’t want your child to learn about same-sex relationships, but you’re not homophobic (because that’s some cognitive dissonance) - then go and talk to the school.

Your child will very soon have a notion that same-sex relationships exist. He will want to know why you disapprove so strongly. I hope you have a good answer.

JaniceBattersby Thu 25-Jan-18 22:38:58

I’m RC OP. Although officially, the church doesn’t promote same sex relationships, in practise, pretty much every Catholic I know including priests (and, apparently, the Pope) has absolutely no problem at all with same sex relationships. There are two sets of Mum and Mum in my eldest child’s class alone in an RC school.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:38:59

Aeroflotgirl Thank you

IcanMooCanYou Thu 25-Jan-18 22:39:11

You CHOOSE to follow a religion that is homophobic. I'm assuming you follow the word of your god? Your god says homosexuality is wrong. But you don't think it's wrong??? Are you saying you disagree with what your god teaches? (see, it doesn't add up does it?)

MissMouseMcPhee Thu 25-Jan-18 22:39:24

'I'm not sure a 7year old has clear concepts of the different types of love and relationships between e.g. friendships, boyfriend-girlfriend, parents, parent-child etc etc.

I really want to meet these 7 year olds. In p1 the kids in my son's class were playing "kisses" - of course 7 year olds understand different kinds of relationships.

lifetothefull Thu 25-Jan-18 22:41:00

Remember that these lessons are prepared and given by people who are experienced at working with children and dealing with their questions. I don't expect they will be discussing sex at this stage, if that is what you are worried about, more about the different make up of families. Eg some children have 2 mummies, some have just a mummy at home, some live with mum and dad etc. It is worth talking to staff to find out what they are being taught so that you are aware

Thistlebelle Thu 25-Jan-18 22:41:23

I'm not sure a 7year old has clear concepts of the different types of love and relationships between e.g. friendships, boyfriend-girlfriend, parents, parent-child etc etc. as a frame of reference.

Maths You’re kidding right?

You are talking about an average 7 yo? And you don’t think they would understand the difference between “friends”, “boyfriends/girlfriends” and “parent child” relationships?

Have you actually met a 7 year old recently? confused

(Aero given your update I appreciate your position is slightly different)

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:41:25

mrsmrsmrsmrsmrs Thank you you do understand me

Starlight2345 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:41:28

Just curious what you will do if your Ds is gay ?

My Ds about 6 asked me if 2 men could get married . I said yes . He jumped about excitedly as he could marry his best friend.

I don’t necessarily agree with all the religions , that school teach . My son is taught to be respectful and acceptance of other people’s choices .
Your Ds is no more or less to be gay no matter what age it is .

mrsmrsmrsmrsmrs Thu 25-Jan-18 22:41:36

I too have had similar discussions with DS but then I am no longer strictly religious and would like him to know that it is OK for anyone, including him, to fall in love with someone of the same sex.

Please could we have some respect for OP - this is not the case for her.

pallisers Thu 25-Jan-18 22:41:56

OP, I think your concern - and your desire to kick this one down the road for a year or two - may be because you know how difficult it will be to explain to him that you aren't condemning gay couples but they are still wrong/sinful. It is a tricky concept for an adult tbh and I don't envy you having to parse it out with a child.

But if that is what you believe, you are going to have to find the language to do so and live with the consequences in terms of what your child might say or think about gay couples or children of gay couples he may meet in the future - because he will meet them.

I wonder if having to deal with this is making you face the reality of what you believe as applied to real people- because presumably you don't just believe "not for me but live and let live" but something more along the lines of "this is an unholy or sinful lifestyle"

It is entirely possible that you will some day have a close family member who lives an openly gay life. You will have to figure out your reaction to that too.

Blackteadrinker77 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:42:07

Does your child not have any children from same sex parents in the class?
I'm surprised at the age of 7 he isn't already aware.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 25-Jan-18 22:42:47

If you don't allow your child to participate in the lesson, you run the risk of alienating him from his friends.
You should also teach your child love and understanding, alongside acceptance and tolerance.
It is far easier for children to learn together as a collective, about this particular subject.
Please be mindful.

ShitWit Thu 25-Jan-18 22:43:31

I’m not judgemental - I can see that buying a raffle ticket at the school Christmas fair isn’t a big deal - but I explain that we have choices and I have chosen to follow this principle because of my faith.

I wonder if something similar would work for you?

For OP to explain her choices and beliefs shed need to let her son learn about the other options available, it sounds like you let youtalk about your reasoning with your children and let them make up their own mind, whereas it sounds like OP is wanting her son to believe the same her, or she’d let him take part in a lesson where being gay isnt seen as forbidden, she won’t be able to explain that many people, religious or otherwise, chose to believe being gay is fine and why she’s chosen to believe it’s forbidden and then letting her son decide for himself.

Is there a chance that he’s already absorbed your feelings about same sex relationships OP and you are worried about him vocalising what he’s been taught at home in class? Or could it be you don’t want him taking part because if he learns reject the idea being gay is forbidden, he may reject other outdated elements if your religion or even the whole religion itself?

justifiede Thu 25-Jan-18 22:43:34

Why is everybody havign a go at OP?
she has a right to pull her son out of the lesson, she has a right to teach him herself the way that she wants to.
she should not be made to feel bad about not wanting her child to learn things at age 7.
I agree with Op in that it's a bit young to be learning about it, yes he probably already knows about same sex relationships as did i when I was quite young however it's completely up to the parents about how and when he should actually have a discussion etc on it.
In my opinion 7 is a bit young for a talk about relationships of any kind really., I wasn't taught until much older and I survived!

snowbellj Thu 25-Jan-18 22:44:18

I expect your son will already be aware that same sex relationships exist.
I don't think you should worry - the teacher will probably just discuss relationships and also make the children aware that these can be between men and women, men and men of women and women.
I work in reception and we have been doing a wedding topic recently - we made sure that wedding pictures shown were multi cultural and also included pictures of same-sex marriages - the children didn't have any issue with this at all.

LondonLassInTheCountry Thu 25-Jan-18 22:44:22

7 is late.

And you do realise that the children maybe talking about it afterwards anyway.

My niece knew at 3 that her auntie loved another girl. And now at 5. Understands boys can love boys and girls can love girls and it doesnt matter. And thats just love

With all due respect. You need to get over it

DrudgeJedd Thu 25-Jan-18 22:47:08

A whole day focused on this is overkill.

bostonkremekrazy Thu 25-Jan-18 22:47:36

MissMouseMcPhee - my kids school had a session like this last year....
I withdrew my dc from the class so do not know the entire content, but different types of families were discussed, with lots of talk about how homosexual families were made up.
There are many families who choose to withdraw children from sex ed classes, likewise there are many families who choose to withdraw children from corporate worship (assembly) particularly JW children.
This is a parents right and while schools are educating our children, the religious aspects do not need to come into play - but do, obviously. This is why people choose to withdraw their kids from certain lessons or assemblies - its not like the OP @yasminluv is saying her child cannot attend Maths or English. Where religion is concerned, the parent, not the school, are the educators.

LRDtheFeministDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 22:47:43

In my opinion 7 is a bit young for a talk about relationships of any kind really., I wasn't taught until much older and I survived!

Yes, but most children aren't children of asexual relationships, so unlike you, they will have been taught about this before.

ShitWit Thu 25-Jan-18 22:47:46

ShitWit where in Christianity does it say women are less

I didn’t say Christianity did say that, you hadnt said which religion you were until that post, or if you did I didn’t see you say you where Christian, I asked if your religion was one of the ones that viewed women less and if it did, are you be teaching your son that too.

ScaryMary81 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:48:12

Would you feel the same about learning about different religions, disability or race?

Probably not, but they including LBGT and are all covered under the same Equality Act. Everyone has the right to live the life they choose and be respected and accepted in society.

I find it particularly funny that religious types are using it as an argument against or reason not to participate. When you'd be the first to comment or report if someone discriminated/persecuted you or your
family for your religious beliefs and life choices.

PatriciaHolm Thu 25-Jan-18 22:51:04

I don't imagine for one minute there is an entire day planned for this.

It will be touched upon in an SRE lesson, which in keeping with good practice parents have been told about in advance. At this age SRE will focus on things like the importance of healthy Bodies, the concepts of privacy, the concepts of what makes up a relationship. It will be one part of the SRE syllabus. In reality, it will be impossible to keep at Year 2 in the dark about what all his friends have been learning.

ScaryMary81 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:51:28

It is also compulsory as it was made very clear in the letter we received home, as the school has a majority muslim population.

It said unlike sex ed, it was compulsory and parents don't have the right to withdraw their children.

MissMouseMcPhee Thu 25-Jan-18 22:52:12

Boston Do you live in the UK?

RavenWings Thu 25-Jan-18 22:54:15

Same sex relationship lessons at that age are probably something along the lines of reading Tango Makes Three or King and King. Just reinforcing the concept that families are not just Mummy, Daddy, children. Nothing wrong with that.

0hCrepe Thu 25-Jan-18 22:55:04

For the record Christianity clearly does say women are lesser- hmmm when was the last female archbishop or pope? Oh and how come women could only become bishops in the last few years?

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-18 22:55:41

and there's the whole spare rib thing

catkind Thu 25-Jan-18 22:55:51

However do they get to 7 in this country without knowing same sex relationships exist? At some point your child is going to chat to another child and find out they have two mums or two dads in their household. Or get into one of those who can marry who conversations and another child will point out that actually girls can marry girls if they want to. If you don't want them to react in a bigoted or ignorant way when that happens, best drop it into conversation sooner rather than later.

If you think it's wrong you could just say "well the laws of this country allow a man to marry another man, but the laws of (insert religion here) say it's wrong".

My kids know stuff about all sorts of cultures they're never even likely to encounter and who did/do all sorts of stuff we strongly disapprove of. You can't even discuss why you disagree with something if they don't know it exists.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:57:03

pallisers I just don’t think I can explain it to him at this stage whereas at 9-10 I can explain it fully and also tell him that this is part of society and it’s the norm..
btw you guys are bashing me I grew up in very Christian household and did exactly what I did mixed well with other children had gay work colleagues which I love as human beings but I still believe in what my mum and dad taught me and I didn’t turn like u guys are painting me
I firstly didn’t no the content of that day and I thought he’s too young

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 25-Jan-18 22:57:42

Surely it would be more an exercise in discussing the different ways families are made up?

They aren't taking them to a live sex shiw

I'm surprised I must admit that a 7 yr old isn't aware that two men or two women in love can get married. It's no different to them living with a mum and dad they know are married.

The younger they learn the better. So they grow up knowing it's normal. Because it is.

They will come across families with 2 mum's or 2 dads. You cant hide forever

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:58:15

ShitWit you just thought I was following Islam that’s why

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-18 22:58:27

You love them as human beings but believe their primary relationships are sinful and wrong...do they know you think that?

0hCrepe Thu 25-Jan-18 22:58:56

And if you’re a Christian there are many gay priests so you’ve actually chosen to be more fundamental when many Christians quite happily accept homosexuality.

Blackteadrinker77 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:59:02

By 10 he could be holding hands or kissing other boys and think his Mu and Dad will hate him for it.

Ihatepompoussoccermums Thu 25-Jan-18 22:59:10

Me to @namechanger124. I dont see why they need a day for this. Maybe it’s to over compensate the fact that lgbt 🏳️‍🌈 community has been stereotyped for so many years, even though by setting a day is also technically stereotyping 🤔 I am and atheist, I just don’t understand why people are following rules or guidelines on a perception of how to live by a book written many years ago. Just because one man said a man and women must be together. Who knows what happened all them years ago, maybe Jesus was gay, but people didn’t want to believe it because the bible says a man and women need to be together. When I was younger my uncle was like my best friend, he took me everywhere. When I found out he was gay aged 13 they first thing I thought about was ‘yes we can check out guys together’ we still do now. My friends were upset because they fancied him and thought they actually had a chance 😂 my daughter absolutely loves him and his husband who she also called uncle. She doesn’t quite understand but she will know when she’s older that it’s okay because her uncles are together. I have several gay friends too. To me their personality’s never change just the preference of the opposite sex. In my opinion they are more down to earth and have an amazing sense of humour than most straight people I know. I have no issues with people against it as long as it doesn’t result in bullying or violence. Every one has their opinion. One of my guy friends says he doesn’t mind it, he just doesn’t want it shoved in his face. Which is fair enough. @yasminluv shouldn’t be getting accused of being homophobic when frankly all she said was she doesn’t want her son to know about it which is her choice.

Blackteadrinker77 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:59:25

Mum *

bostonkremekrazy Thu 25-Jan-18 22:59:36

ScaryMary81 - compulsory really? Muslim children were forced to learn about homosexuality? How many parents complied with that? hmm

Aeroflotgirl Thu 25-Jan-18 22:59:38

I think he is beginning to understand a bit, and asks about different relatives in photos and how they are related (grandparents, aunties, mum and dad). No I would not mind him having a lesson about different kinds of relationships, but he just would not be interested, and would propbably ask when lunch is, or can he go out to play now.

Itsthattimeagain Thu 25-Jan-18 22:59:44

OP how are you going to handle a situation when you and DS are walking down the road and he questions why two men/two women are, for example, holding hands?

How are you going to handle a situation when DS says 'im going to marry best male friend?

How will you feel if DS grows up to be a successful business owner who, under your religious guidance, refuses to employ homosexuals because it goes against his religion, and then has to deal with discrimination laws?

Has the school sent a letter home regarding this lesson? Was it actually specifically regarding same sex relationships? Or included in a lesson about all relationships ('we will be holding a session regarding different types of families/relationships including love, marriage, same sex marriage, etc.), which by excluding him you will then be forcing him to miss out on a lot of other information which is 'allowed' in your religion, for the sake of 'shielding' him from probably one or two sentences which you simply refuse to tolerate??

PPs I think this is a losing battle, and a thread which will end up ending as 'you can't argue with stupid'. Oh and OP will probably flounce.

God help you OP.

maximu Thu 25-Jan-18 23:00:17

As a parent of a yr 2 child myself I'm pretty surprised that yours doesn't already know about same sex relationships.

0hCrepe Thu 25-Jan-18 23:01:31

Need I point out that God is a man? Can’t get much higher than him. The whole religion is built on the premise of a male being the big I am.

bostonkremekrazy Thu 25-Jan-18 23:01:41

MissMouseMcPhee - yes. Several local schools did the same kind of 'lesson'. it was sold to parents as a celebration of LGBT.

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-18 23:01:49

Well, Aeroflot, many small children have that reaction to being taught phonics or subtraction too. Just as well we don't let them pick and choose which aspects of the curriculum to be involved in!

Aeroflotgirl Thu 25-Jan-18 23:04:02

Bloody hell Greensleeves he's only young, I understand that might be a stock response of a lot of young kids. I said that I would be happy to have a class about different types of relationships, he just becuause of his SN ya know, might not quite get it. No need to be aggressive at me!

BIWI Thu 25-Jan-18 23:04:53

@yasminluv - it doesn't matter what religion you belong to or were referring to. Teaching that homosexuality is wrong is wrong. And if you want to keep following that teaching, by removing your child from lessons, then I'm sorry but that makes you homophobic.

It is legal for men and women to marry people of the same sex. Whether you/your religion likes it or not. And your child should grow up knowing that this is the case. Because if they don't, we'll never get rid of homophobia.

BLUESEAPARADISE Thu 25-Jan-18 23:05:26

hmm

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-18 23:07:17

I didn't think I was being aggressive. I just don't think "he wouldn't be interested, he'd be asking when lunch is" was a very good justification for a child not participating in an area of the curriculum - and I really think OP needs to understand that this IS a part of the curriculum, and very important part, and she'll be doing her son no favours from trying to shield him from it imo.

YerAuntFanny Thu 25-Jan-18 23:09:09

If it's anything like my DS ' school the session wasn't dedicated to Same Sex relationships, it was about relationships in general BUT they did have to inform parents of the subject beforehand because some people may not want the child to take part.

It wasn't segregating of making a big deal out of it they were just acknowledging that sadly, homophobia still exists.

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-18 23:09:46

I feel really sorry for and angry on behalf of children who are sheltered from reality by fundie parents (of all types). It's bloody cruel and irresponsible, unless you can afford to maintain them on a country estate for the rest of their natural lives so they won't have to deal with how disadvantaged they are.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 25-Jan-18 23:09:57

I was saying that probably after the class about relationships, he would probably be asking about when lunch was or going out to play, than in depth questions about what he was learning or be that interested in it, probably some might be the same as him. A bit matter of fact about it tbh.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 23:12:28

Itsthattimeagain

Exactly like I did when I was younger seeing two men holding hands I say that’s there choice it didn’t concern me at all.

If my son was a business owner he wouldn’t discriminate against anyone for his own choice. This person who works for him is a fellow human being and as long as they can do the job that’s all that matters I’m 29 I survived and fine and tolerable or all races and people and I’m sure there are many of me around and my son will be too
Thank you everyone for your input both positive and negative

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 25-Jan-18 23:13:05

It's not going to be SRE (that's not part of the KS1 curriculum) it's unlikely to be in RE (it's not a religious subject) and you do not have a right to withdraw kids from random other parts of a curriculum in a school that you choose your child to attend, withdraw them (and home ed, as I imagine such topics will be covered in all schools)

GColdtimer Thu 25-Jan-18 23:17:23

Op are you Christian? Because my gay uncle is a Christian and us accepted. There are many gay priests. Not sure I understood your atheist point.

What will you do if your son is Gay? Will you not accept his relationship because it's "forbidden".

catkind Thu 25-Jan-18 23:20:32

Exactly like I did when I was younger seeing two men holding hands I say that’s there choice it didn’t concern me at all.
That's their choice is pretty much the message that any brief mention of same sex relationships in Y2 is likely to consist of. What are you so worried about?

ScaryMary81 Thu 25-Jan-18 23:21:26

I think people are confused it's not a sex ed lesson at all. It's a lesson about different families. There is a board up in school with pics of 2 mummy families and 2 daddy families etc.

Nothing sexual at all, I should imagine the school will encounter problems, we are a faith family, yet I talk with my children and explain, everyone has a right to believe and live the life they want. And we should respect that as we would expect to be respected regardless of difference.

Whatever religion a child is raised in, if they are LBGT, they are LGBT. I have three muslim friends, two who chose conventional marriages and lead a double life and one who refused and is shunned for society all raised in traditional muslim households.

Learning about LBGT or different families does not make them inclined that way, a person either is or isn't LBGT, and genetically predispositioned in the womb as I believe personally.

It does however normalise it in society where people will learn to respect rather than hate or fear their families being contaminated by LBGT, which I think we can see on this thread.

You can be a muslim or christian or any religion and believe it's not right and teach your children the same, but you can also teach them to respect other people's differences and life choices without conflict, it's called tolerance and being humble which are both admirable qualities taught in all religions.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 23:23:15

Catkind I’m not worried
I just don’t think it’s for the age of 6-7 that’s all. And I didn’t know what they are covering exactly..

Goodnight guys

Hercules12 Thu 25-Jan-18 23:25:44

This is a good example of why I'm an atheist. This isn't a god of love the op believes in.

Itsthattimeagain Thu 25-Jan-18 23:25:58

Exactly CatKind!!

ScaryMary81 Thu 25-Jan-18 23:26:40

Apologies - . I have three muslim friends, who are gay/lesbian, two who chose conventional marriages and lead a double life and one who refused and is shunned by his own family and the majority of muslim society, all raised in traditional muslim households.

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 25-Jan-18 23:28:33

Al

catkind Thu 25-Jan-18 23:31:19

DD's whole class know it since the age of 4 as a classmate happens to have two mums. It's not "for" any particular age, it's just general background knowledge it's a good idea to be aware of sooner so you don't make a fool of yourself later. Like knowing that twins exist.

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 25-Jan-18 23:31:51

There’s no age “too young” to start learning about the gloriously diverse ways people live their lives. I’ve always talked to mine quite matter of factly about the fact some people choose same sex relationships. I want them to accept and respect themselves /their friends whatever their sexuality.

Similarly we’ve always talked about different religions, and cultures. Closing them off from difference is a frightened, bigoted way to parent.

AdidasGirl Thu 25-Jan-18 23:40:31

I think it's so sad that you want to pull your child from this.
Love is love.
My DS is 5 and he knows that if you love someone then you love them.
2 of my best friends(men) are married and my son calls them both 'Uncle'
He knows they love each other and isn't phased at all.

EggsonHeads Thu 25-Jan-18 23:42:20

Just ask the school when it is and pull him out. I won't lie, it would make me uncomfortable as well. It's not because I am 'scared that it would turn them gay' or any other tosh lile that but because it is a difficult issue and over simplifying the issue in particular has potential to harm them, especially if they end up being gay. The last thing I would want is for my gay son to miss out on having a family because everyone was so busy telling him how normal and healthy his relationship is (why should his natural feelings be anything else ffs) that they forget to tell him that as a gay man he is going to find it extremely difficult to start a family. Seven is too young to say anything constructive.

Ketzele Thu 25-Jan-18 23:45:15

I haven't yet heard - from OP or anyone - why the existence of my type of family is information that children need to be protected from till they get older. She keeps saying it's her opinion, but not explaining why. I would love to hear an explanation that ISN'T homophobic.

I'm not religious, but have no problem with my children being taught about religion at school. Because they are there to learn about the world they live in. They have come home and asked me if I am religious, and I have said no and explained why, while emphasising respect for individual beliefs. So lots of good learning all round - why would any parent want to block that?

BattleCuntGalactica Thu 25-Jan-18 23:45:56

Oh man that's almost a full bingo card!

Ketzele Thu 25-Jan-18 23:48:40

it is a difficult issue and over simplifying the issue in particular has potential to harm them, especially if they end up being gay. EggsonHeads, please explain this. Is it really that you think it encourages children to adopt a sterile life? You do know how many gay men are now choosing parenthood?

Seven is too young to say anything constructive. I think just acknowledging that families come in all shapes is hugely constructive - especially for the children, like minehem?, live in non-traditional families. They hate having to explain their family all the time, and a lesson like this would really help. Why wouldn't you want to help that?

Aeroflotgirl Thu 25-Jan-18 23:50:24

A lesson or two is fine, but a whole day seems a bit excessive, it's not like you can go in depth with 7 year olds. Those saying, well my 4 year old understands. Not all children of that age will have that level of understanding. The concepts of relationships and marriage and what they mean may go over some kids heads. We were never taught about relationships at school, just academics. In time we learned about different relationships as we got older. I am a live and let live person, don't care what relationships people are in, as long as they are happy. Nowadays tgere seems to be a desperation to impart as much information to young children as possible at an early age. Not only have they got to learn academics, but different sometimes quite confusing concepts.

Itsthattimeagain Thu 25-Jan-18 23:53:00

Like knowing that twins exist gringrin

Oh and BTW OP, please stop using the words 'tolerance/tolerate', you do not know the meaning, because you do not tolerate homosexuals, you ignore their sexuality, that my love is 'ignorance'.
Even if you do use the word tolerate, this just means you 'put up with them'...

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 26-Jan-18 00:01:17

aero, when you say you were never taught about relationships, just 'academics' (whatever those may be) - did people religiously refuse to refer to marriage?

How did your history lessons work, if you learned that Henry VIII split from the Church of Rome, but the reasons why were censored?

What were you taught, in geography, when you studied human housing? Was it hard to understand why people would live together, given you weren't taught about relationships?

When you did literature, was it slightly strange reading books with pages ripped out?

I can see it must have been very educational, but for the rest of us, who were taught about relationships as a matter of course in ordinary english, history, maths and science lessons, it's strange to imagine.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 26-Jan-18 00:07:14

Yes those kinds of things, not specific lessons on relationships like what is happening now. That was taught at senior school, not in primary level. In primary we covered the ww2, P league, great fire of London, medieval times. Different types of transport. I went to a state primary over 35 years ago.

blueCanvas Fri 26-Jan-18 00:08:20

Why can you tell him now it's not that complicated some people like a different gender to them and some like the same. hmm

daffodildelight Fri 26-Jan-18 00:08:39

I'm a Christian and very supportive of gay people. We have gay clergy. The Pope is ok with gay people.
Love your neighbour. Judge no one. Jesus always stood up for the persecuted and downtrodden and the outcasts of society. We should too.

OP I think you should talk to your child before hand and explain to them about gay people if you are worried. I personally would be very happy for my children to attend the lesson as it will be age appropriate.

I do question if posts like these are genuine though. Why would you not just go to the school? Is it another case of atheists pretending to be something they are not to try and portray religion in a certain way???

ScaryMary81 Fri 26-Jan-18 00:08:40

I was using the word tolerance for people who's religious values teach them that LGBT is a sin and ultimately wrong on all levels. That isn't my personal view.

Religious people have a right to live and believe as they choose, as you do you, the key here is accepting different views and not forcing what you believe is right or wrong on anyone else.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 26-Jan-18 00:08:57

In primary English we did reading, writing, comprehension. Ginn books. Nothing with relationships in.

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 26-Jan-18 00:10:20

Ah, 'medieval times'. They didn't have sex back then, right?

aero, even in 'medieval times' and even 35 years ago, people still mentioned heterosexual relationships. Trust me. I have seen the John and Jane reading books that have a daddy and a mummy. I have read Enid Blyton.

These things are taught. It is plain silly to pretend that children don't grow up being taught about relationships between men and women, in the most calm and un-sensational way, all the time.

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 26-Jan-18 00:11:55

grin 'Ginn books. Nothing with relationships in'.

Honey, they have relationships in.

ScaryMary81 Fri 26-Jan-18 00:12:17

Tolerate - English Dictionary
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference.

ScaryMary81 Fri 26-Jan-18 00:12:24

TOLERATE - English Dictionary
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference.

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 26-Jan-18 00:12:52

Aeroflotgirl Fri 26-Jan-18 00:12:52

Yes those sorts of things LRD, and I knew I had a mum and a dad in my family and they were married (whatever that was when I was little).

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 26-Jan-18 00:12:59

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »