Talk

Advanced search

In Yr2 kids same sex relationships lessons

(330 Posts)
yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 21:50:16

Hi
In Year 2 they have a day where kids learn about samesex relationships
It’s after Easter apperantly is that nationally and is every school different

If this to happen How can I as a parent address this with the teacher the fact that I don’t want him to participate

FancyNewBeesly Thu 25-Jan-18 22:02:36

What do you think will happen if he learns about this "too young"? What's your actual fear here?

0hCrepe Thu 25-Jan-18 22:02:42

Ask to see the materials and lesson beforehand. It might put your mind at rest and hopefully teach you something.

newtlover Thu 25-Jan-18 22:03:26

you haven't explained why you feel uncomfortable with him learnng about 'that'

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:03:27

Ok I don’t appreciate the attack I’m getting. I’m fine with all your saying but I’m my religion same sex relationships are forbidden and we do follow it at home and I just want it to continue like that

MrMeSeeks Thu 25-Jan-18 22:03:43

Fellout why I’m I ridiculous what harm did I cause as a parent I’m allowed my opinion with all due respect the the LGBT community I just don’t feel okay with my son learning about that at 7
You don't want your son to learn that its ok for two men or two women to be in love?
I take it then you've never read any stories to him where a hetro copule get married then?

dailyshite Thu 25-Jan-18 22:04:02

You know it's legal, don't you? And 'normal' / mainstream - why on earth would you want your child to think there is anything odd about two people in a consenting, legal relationship?

And absolutely what newtlover said.

Surfingwhippet Thu 25-Jan-18 22:04:43

Our school does same love different families. It's not just about same sex relationships it's about all the different families there are.
Maybe find out what exactly he will be learning

Valerrie Thu 25-Jan-18 22:05:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:05:05

Crepe teach me what? I don’t have any issues with this topic I’m ok I do have gay friends at work don’t look at them any less then any human being we follow away of life and I want it to stay like that

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-18 22:05:09

You can't keep your child in a bubble though, OP, and it's unfair to him to try. You live in a society in which same-sex relationships are an everyday reality.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 25-Jan-18 22:05:11

Teach your child tolerance smile and acceptance smile

SimultaneousEquation Thu 25-Jan-18 22:05:17

My lot have known from as far as I can remember that some men marry men and some women marry women. We took them all to our friends 10-year anniversary of their civil partnership about 18m ago. Dd must have been 5. It didn’t occur to me to fret about them catching “gay”. Just stopping them eating too many crisps and being sick on the way home.

Curious as to how it will help a child’s development to be shielded from this knowledge? Is it that you don’t want to have to explain the mechanics of sex?

pallisers Thu 25-Jan-18 22:05:40

At that age all of my children had at least one if not two classmates who had same sex parents. Actually they have since nursery been with children of same sex couples.

What are they going to teach him? Probably not the mechanics of gay sex - right?

To be honest, I would feel uncomfortable with there being a day set aside for this. It makes the same sex relationship seem "other" and radically different. The reality is families come in all shapes and sizes from married couples to unmarried to grandmothers rearing children, step parents rearing children, same sex married couples, same sex couples etc and babies arrive in a multitude of ways - ivf, adoption, etc.

FancyNewBeesly Thu 25-Jan-18 22:06:57

Teaching or not teaching your child about homosexuality, age 7 or 5 or 3, will not affect his sexuality or your "way of life"

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 25-Jan-18 22:07:26

You need to home educate like other religious nutters, picking and choosing which topic your child can learn in school is not what you get in a state education.

You can withdraw them from RE - I really hope you are, since they'll learn a lot more there to challenge their views about your religion. And in from yr 7 when "sex ed" is there, you can withdraw from that too. However the school is no more required to let you opt out of individual lessons otherwise.

YerAuntFanny Thu 25-Jan-18 22:07:31

Whether you personally condone it or not is not relevant. The school is teaching him something which is prevalent in our society and regardless of your thought it IS accepted on the most part as a valid form of relationship.

You can teach him to be homophobic in your own time, gives a little balance I guess .

SleepingStandingUp Thu 25-Jan-18 22:07:44

I’m my religion same sex relationships are forbidden
Well he still needs to know that in society it is accepted (mostly) and is permissable. You can tell him how he will burn in hell or be forever damned afterwards

pallisers Thu 25-Jan-18 22:07:52

but I’m my religion same sex relationships are forbidden and we do follow it at home and I just want it to continue like that

Well then either you remove him from the class (his classmates will fill him in later with probably exaggeratedly lurid detail) or after the class you take him home and tell him that despite what he learned in class, you as a family believe that being gay is not right and gay relationships are sinful. Then sit back and pray that he isn't gay.

BananaPie Thu 25-Jan-18 22:07:52

Well they can continue to be forbidden by your religion, and you can continue to follow that at home. Surely him learning about same sex relationships won’t change that? They do exist whether they’re forbidden in your religion or not.

BIWI Thu 25-Jan-18 22:08:14

we follow away of life and I want it to stay like that

Why? Why would you want it to stay like that, when life simply isn't like that these days?

And if you desire it to be like that, as PP have said, you are homophobic.

yasminluv Thu 25-Jan-18 22:08:16

I will ask his teacher but you guys are judging me for what I believe in and I do see that same sex relationships exist it’s just not what my son to learn that at 7 maybe at 9

BewareOfDragons Thu 25-Jan-18 22:08:57

Hi I just don’t agree the a 7 year old needs to know this at this stage. Plus I would prefer it to explain it to him myself. Each to there own offcourse but I don’t feel comfortable about that being introduce so early on.

Gee. Guess we shouldn't have let our children meet their uncle and his partner until they were older ...

Or our good friends ...

Oh wait.

Get a fucking grip, OP.

JassyRadlett Thu 25-Jan-18 22:09:15

The thing is, your child is likely to have peers whose parents are a same-sex couple.

What do you prefer? To teach your child that while your religion has certain rules, not everyone follows that religion and and so, sometimes men marry other men and women marry other women and it’s fine for them, it just doesn’t happen in your religion.

Or for your child to grow up thinking the perfectly legal marriages of parents of his peers is somehow shameful and to be frowned upon and not talked about?

dailyshite Thu 25-Jan-18 22:09:27

You don't have a problem with people being gay but your religion forbids gay relationships, you want to maintain that way of life and you want your 7 year old to not know about a huge part of society, love, relationships and life? Doesn't really add up, does it?

BewareOfDragons Thu 25-Jan-18 22:09:44

And, yes. I am most definitely judging you. You're not coming off well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »