Talk

Advanced search

Times tables advice

(15 Posts)
Escarbonara Sat 13-Jan-18 07:32:47

Can anyone recommend any good books, games (not apps) or anything else for a 7 year old to help learn Times Tables?

irvineoneohone Sat 13-Jan-18 08:06:55

www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

www.learnyourtables.co.uk/en/index2.htm

www.learnmoretables.co.uk/activity/index.htm

www.arcademics.com/

DayKay Sat 13-Jan-18 08:08:01

There are some good workbooks. I bought one for ds and then got them to practise on their own. It’s very repetitive but needs to be.
We also listened to timestables songs on YouTube every morning.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-Jan-18 09:53:21

Plyt can be played using times tables only. There is also a times tables expansion pack for City of Zombies which my 7yo likes.

One of the best things we have is 'three cornered' flash cards, which really help to learn tables as division facts as well.

bearstrikesback Sat 13-Jan-18 09:56:06

Schofield and Sims do great times tables workbooks.

Arkadia Sat 13-Jan-18 16:02:19

Also you can print out the big maths beat that worksheet and do those.
Whatever the strategy the only important thing is that you practice 10 mins a day or so, EVERY DAY, Christmas and New year included ;)

brilliotic Sat 13-Jan-18 16:29:21

I second Plyt, we played it a lot, it's fun in that you play as a family and all family members are properly challenged! It goes beyond merely memorising times tables 'facts' (once you have these down pat) to applying them to quickly work out other multiplications e.g. 6x8x5. And children can learn other things as well, e.g. you can model how you deal with a (arithmetic) challenge, and how you deal with getting it wrong etc. You can be a learner alongside your child, rather than you being the one that knows everything (assuming you know your own times tables) and the child the one that needs to learn.

Usborne's 'See Inside Times Tables' is quite nice for starting out, it shows patterns and demonstrates what multiplication actually means, whilst feeling very non-scary.

Worldsworstcook Sat 13-Jan-18 16:49:50

Excellent game called multiflyer - my ds and Dd played it (it's like a space game) and DS did so well that in p6 he won an all Northern Ireland maths cup! Purely from this game!

www.brainormous.com/ppage_multiflyer.html

namechangedtoday15 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:21:44

Pack of cards. 2 players. You turn over the cards in turn, a bit like snap, and the player has the do the sum of the last card played plus the card they turn over.

Escarbonara Sat 13-Jan-18 17:26:03

Thanks for the recommendations I’m going to look those up. Plyt sounds good if the family can play

Flashinggreen Mon 15-Jan-18 13:51:13

Can I jump in and ask for apps for my 9YO who swears he know them but needs to practise more.

Arkadia Mon 15-Jan-18 14:03:39

Topmarks. Best £2 you will ever spend ;)
Look for "hit the button" (free version on desktop).

irvineoneohone Mon 15-Jan-18 14:05:08

Hit the button.

irvineoneohone Mon 15-Jan-18 14:05:53

*cross posted with Arkadia . grin

Flashinggreen Mon 15-Jan-18 15:18:11

Done thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: